ON A CHILLY WILLY OPENING DAY AT BICKFORD PARK, THE RED BIRDS MADE THE MOST OF NINETEEN WALKS TO STIFLE THE GO GO LIZZIES
Game Report composed with files from Paul Bagnell and Garry Bulloch
On a chilly and blustery evening at Bickford Park this evening, the Lizzies defeated the Cardinals 16-3 in 4 innings to win their Mosquito Division season opener.
A formidable Cardinals batting order made the most of the nineteen walks that were issued by the four Lizzies pitchers to build a formidable lead.
Meanwhile, the Red Birds bullpen combined to limit the Lizzies to three runs over the course of four innings, while allowing two hits, seven walks and striking out seven.
Here are the highlights:
- Solomon (11) powered the Cardinals offense as he went 3 for 3 at the plate while scoring one run and driving in 4 RBI’s. Solomon also threw a scoreless first inning where he struck out three Lizzies (1 IP, o ER, 1 H, 1 HBP, 0 W, 3 K).
- Lizzies relievers Mark (11) and Luke (5) made their house league pitching debuts respectively in the third and fourth innings against the Cards. Both of them battled hard against the potent Red Birds offensive machine as they both recorded a strikeout apiece.
- Cardinals reliever Jonathan (4) pitched a 1-2-3 second inning as he mowed down two Lizzies.
- In the third inning, Taylor (3) of the Lizzies made a daring steal of third base. As she kicked up a huge cloud of dust when she deftly slid into third, an errant throw from the Cardinals catcher sailed high over the third baseman’s head and the ball went down the third baseline. Cool as a cucumber, Taylor picked herself up and raced homeward bound with the Lizzies first run of the game.
- With the bases loaded and two outs, Mark (11) of the Lizzies exercised great discipline at the plate and drew a RBI walk that brought in the Go Go Lizzies third run.