THE WHITE SOX PUT THE PEDAL TO THE METAL IN THE LATTER INNINGS TO TRIUMPH OVER TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS AT CHRISTIE PITS
Under the lights on a cool summer evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2, the Martingrove (2) White Sox defeated our TP Minor Peewees 14-3 in 5 innings of EBA West Select Loop action.
Here are the highlights:
- TP starting pitcher Sasha (28) threw three workmanlike innings while striking out four White Sox.
- TP pitcher Owen (12) tossed 1 2/3 innings of effective relief while striking out two.
- Roster Call up Jake (9) stroked a RBI sacrifice hit in the second that allowed Cam (88) to motor home with the Minor Peewees second run.
- Toronto Playgrounds made two Gold Glove defensive plays in the second inning. On the first, TP shortstop Zack (32) corralled a hot grounder and made a laser throw to first baseman Max (17) to complete a 6-3 putout for the first out. On the next, with one out and a Martingrove baserunner at first, second baseman Brian (25) fielded a hot liner up the middle, stepped on second for the force, and threw to first to finish the 4-3 double play to close the inning.
- Another defensive gem was made in the fourth by the Minor Peewees. With no outs and the bases loaded, shortstop Zack fielded a hot shot and threw home to catcher Arlo (7) to complete a 6-2 force to record the first out of the inning.
The Minor Peewee Selects (3-7-1) travel to Smythe Park on Wednesday, August 7 to play their final EBA regular season game against York at a time still to be determined.
With the conclusion of the regular season schedule, the Minor Peewee Selects will commence the playoff phase of their 2013 season in the EBA Select Loop Tournament beginning on Friday, August 9.