WITH RAIN POURING DOWN LIKE SILVER, THE ARTFUL DODGERS SLIP BY THE BIG RED MACHINE IN THE THIRD INNING TO SNARE THEIR SECOND ROUND ROBIN GAME VICTORY AT THE TOURNAMENT
Game Post composed with file from Bill Evans
Beneath a canopy of overcast and rainy skies this morning at Christie Pits Diamond 3, the Dodgers edged the Reds 3-2 in a watery 3 ½ innings of Mosquito Division round robin tournament action.
Trailing 2-1, the artful Dodgers rallied for a two runs in the top of the third to take the lead. After Jian (4) had led off the inning with a single and a pair of stolen bases, Gen (10) stroked a RBI single to bring Jian home from third with the tying run.
Subsequently, with one out and the bases loaded, Olivia (6) stepped up to the plate with the rain drizzling down and delivered a grace under pressure RBI single that brought Tango (5) home with the Dodgers go ahead run.
With the rainfall increasing in intensity with every millisecond and a slender 3-2 lead to protect, Dodgers closer Jian (4) stepped onto the pitching rubber and struck out two Reds to seal the deal.
At this juncture in the proceedings, the game was suspended.*
Here are additional highlights:
- The Dodgers jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. With two runners on base, Gen hit a RBI double that allowed Jacob (7) to motor home with the first run of the game.
- Reds starter Ben (6) found the groove and struck out the next three to leave two Dodgers stranded on base in the rain.
- Dodgers starting pitcher Jacob (7) mowed down a pair of Reds in the bottom of the first to keep them off the scoreboard.
- In the top of the second, Ben (6) of the Reds pitched himself out of a mojo jojo bases loaded jam by shearing two Dodgers to keep them off the scoring ledger.
- The Big Red Machine offense surged to life in the bottom of the second and scored a pair of runs to take a 2-1 lead. With Ethan (12)standing on second base after a one out double, Ben (4) hit a clutch two out RBI single to bring Ethan home with the tying run. After the Reds loaded the bases with a pair of walks, Harrison (5) worked the count in his favour and drew a RBI walk to deliver Ben (4) home with the Reds go ahead run.
*Result Pending: The Dodgers and Reds played a round robin tournament game that was suspended after three innings of play. If the outcome of that game would affect the standings and the quarter-final match-ups, the fourth inning will be completed at the earliest possible time.