WITH THE GAME TIED 5-5, THE ARTFUL DODGERS SLIDE BY THE METROPOLITANS WITH A RUN IN THE FOURTH TO PREVAIL IN A THRILLING CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath mild and sunny skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2, the Dodgers edged the Mets 6-5 in a nailbiting 4 ½ innings to win the 2013 Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Mosquito Division Championship Game.
It was a thrilling seesaw battle between two talented and well coached teams, where both the artful Dodgers and the suave Metropolitans gave it their all from the first pitch to the final out. The Dodgers eventually prevailed because they were able to capitalize a tad more on the opportunities that were presented to them during the proceedings.
In a game where runs came at a premium, both squads had battled tooth and nail to a 5-5 draw after 3 ½ innings of play.
After Olivia (6) led off the bottom of the fourth with a single and Simon (14) followed suit to put two Dodgers on base, a Mets fielding faux pas followed that would allow Olivia to take third.
With the game on the line, the Mets committed an error, and Olivia seized her opportunity and blazed homeward like a cougar to score the Dodgers go ahead (and winning) run.
In the top of the fifth, the Mets refused to surrender and gamely put the tying run on base with two outs. However, Dodgers closer Jian (4) threw his second strikeout of the inning to record the final out and seal the deal on a hard fought championship victory.
Here are the highlights:
- The Mets surged to an early 3-0 lead in the top of the first. With one out and a Met on base, Jonah (2) stroked a RBI single to bring home Colby (6) with the first run of the game. Later, with two outs and a pair of Mets on base, Simon (8) stroked a clutch two RBI double to centre field to score Jonah and Aaron (9).
- The Dodgers turned a nice 8-5 defensive play in the first to end the inning. As Simon of the Mets attempted to stretch his double into a triple, Dodgers centre fielder Tango (5) made a great throw to third baseman Simon (14), who tagged the wayfaring Met for the third out.
In the bottom of the first, the Dodgers answered back with four runs to take the lead 4-3. With one out and a Dodger on base, Jian (4) delivered a RBI triple to score Gen (10). Gus (15) followed with a RBI single to bring in Jian. Subsequently, with two Dodgers on the basepaths, Olivia (6) hit a grace under pressure two RBI single to bring Gus and Oliver (12) homeward.
- Mets right fielder Aaron made a nice Gold Glove catch on a hard hit fly ball in the first.
- The Metropolitans rallied for a run in the top of the second to tie the game. With one out and the bases loaded, Nigel (5) drew a RBI walk to bring Rory (7) home with the tying run.
- With a little help from his friends, Dodgers reliever Oliver (12) deftly extricated himself from a mojo jojo bases loaded jam in the second.
- Mets reliever Aaron (9) mowed down a pair of Dodgers in the bottom of the second to keep them off the scoresheet.
- The Mets scored a run in the top of the third to take a 5-4 lead. After Colby had led off the inning with a walk and a pair of stolen bases, he came motoring home on a Dodgers error.
- Dodgers reliever Gen (10) icily struck out two in the third to quell the Mets uprising.
- In the bottom of the third, the artful Dodgers rallied with a run to even the affair 5-5. With the bases juiced to overflowing, Gus delivered a uber clutch RBI double to bring Jacob (7) home with the tying run.
- Mets reliever Nigel (5) escaped a bases loaded jam in the third with a strong two strikeout effort.
- With ice cold ice in his veins, Dodgers reliever Jian (4) mowed down two in the top of the fourth to keep the Metropolitans off the scoreboard.
The TP Baseball Committee wishes to commend Mets Coaches Alan Davidson, Jamie Rosen, Sam Lam, Ted Sharp and all the Mets players on a great season.
The Committee wishes to congratulate Dodgers Coaches Ron Lopata, Sam Perri, Ben Gutman for guiding this talented group of Dodgers players to such great heights of achievement in 2013. Way to go, Dodgers!