THE END OF SEASON TOURNAMENT TO WRAP UP THE 2014 TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS HOUSE LEAGUE BASEBALL SEASON FOR TEAMS IN OUR MOSQUITO, PEEWEE, BANTAM AND MIDGET DIVISIONS BEGINS ON SEPTEMBER 2
It’s hard to believe that it’s already time for it, but our Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball end-of-year tournament (fondly known as ‘September Madness’) is almost upon us.
The schedules for all divisions will be sent out by Tuesday August 26. When you receive the schedule please print it off and make careful note of the games that involve your child(ren). The tournament rules sheets are also being sent separately over the next few days. Please take the time to read them and let your coach know if you have any questions. We’d like to go over a few things so that all of us…parents, coaches, players, and umpires… are all on the same page.
1. Please note that we’re no longer following a standard division night schedule…games can be any night and also throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday. Please read the schedules carefully to see when your team plays. Each team will play two round-robin games during the week of Tuesday, September 2 to Friday, September 5, and two more round-robin games on Saturday, September 6. Elimination games will begin on Sunday, September 7.
2. There is a lot of baseball taking place over the first week and weekend of September! We set it up this way in order for the players to get the chance to play as much baseball as possible before we have to pack it all up again until next year. Although we’re keeping standings during the round-robin schedule, the emphasis during the tournament is still on having fun, building skills, and being good sports, and we ask all of you to help with this by being good role models for all of the players.
VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION – PLEASE NOTE:
- ALL games WILL start at the scheduled time, regardless of how many players are there. Defensive teams will have to start the game fielding with however many players they have (up to a maximum of 9 of course!).
- Please arrive as close to one half hour before game time as possible to allow coaches to make lineups.
- Full uniforms (house league cap, house league jersey, house league pants) are to be worn.
- Decisions regarding rain outs will be placed on the website/Twitter/hotline one hour prior to game time. If games are cancelled due to weather, the tournament will run longer than indicated on the schedule. Please note however that during the tournament, we will play through light rain because of the need to get the games completed, so players and parents should dress appropriately for the weather.
All Players, coaches, and umpires will receive a free lunch from the TP Baseball BBQ Zone on Saturday September 6. We will also be selling lunch from the BBQ on both Saturday, Sept. 6 and Sunday, September 7 from approximately 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. We will require some volunteers to help run the BBQ Zone, so if you could be available for an hour or two on either Saturday or Sunday, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org. We greatly appreciate any help that you can provide. Thanks in advance!
Updated scores, standings, pictures and other news will be available daily on the Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Website (www.tpbaseball.ca) and on Twitter (@TPbaseballnews) throughout the tournament.
Players and Parents are strongly advised to check the our Twitter feed, the Hotline [(416) 392-1914], or website if the weather is suspect.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Finally, let’s keep our actions and our comments positive, and help the players and coaches be good sports.
Thanks for your participation and on-going support of our league!
Coordinator, Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball