WITH THEIR BACKS TO THE WALL, THE TP MOSQUITO SELECTS TOP THE ROYALS 9-4 TO WIN THEIR SECOND PLAYOFF GAME AT THE MOSQUITO SOBA PROVINCIAL FINALS
Beneath the lights on a humid summer night, our Toronto Playgrounds Mosquito Selects defeated the Guelph Royals 9-4 in six innings of play this evening at Richmond Green Diamond 3 to win their second game at the Mosquito Select Ontario Baseball Association (SOBA) Provincial Finals in Richmond Hill.
Here are some highlights from TP’s game versus Guelph:
- Facing elimination, the TP squad played their best game of the tournament
- Toronto Playgrounds scored five runs in the second inning. The Mosquito Select attack was powered by base hits from Nigel (20), Alden (7) and Leandro (10). Nigel, Alex (2), Alden, Harris (12) and Louis (16) all came into score after consecutive at bats.
- TP plated another four in the fourth as Quinn (13), Nigel, Alex and Harris scored once again with base hits from Nigel, Alex, Harris and Adam (14).
- Louis made some amazing base running to avoid an out and keep the inning alive in the fourth.
- The defense was tight behind TP starter Aaron (18) who pitched three strong innings and recorded the win. TP reliever Nigel pitched three solid frames for the save.
- Piper (9) made a stellar catch in left field to stymie the Royals attack.
- Alex made an amazing game ending catch at third base to seal the victory.
- Like a rock, TP catcher Jake (30) catches another six stellar innings behind the dish.
With the victory, TP (2-1) remains alive at the Mosquito SOBA Provincial Final playoffs. TP will play their next elimination game tomorrow (Sunday, August 31) morning at 11:30 a.m. against the Mississauga Twins Grey at Richmond Green Diamond 2.
Each of the twelve teams participating in the Labour Day weekend Mosquito SOBA Provincial Finals are working under a double knockout playoff formula, whereby a team has to lose two games in order to be eliminated. Should a team reach the final round undefeated, they will have to lose twice to be eliminated.
With a thrilling 8-7 opening night victory over the West Hill Blue Hawks on Friday evening, TP suffered their first loss in the SOBA Provincial playoffs earlier today when the Mississauga Twins Grey defeated them 11-2 in 4 ½ innings at Richmond Green Diamond 3.
Here are the highlights from the TP game against Mississauga:
- TP jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first as both Jake (30) and Adi (1) reached base on walks and came home to score on respective RBI hits from Quinn (13) and Nigel (20).
- The Twins Grey roared back with four in the bottom of the first and another five in the second to take a 9-2 lead.
- TP refused to quit and continued to hit the ball hard. However, the Mosquito Selects could not find holes in the solid Mississauga defence.
- The TP defense, playing behind reliever Harris (12) on the mound, shut down the Twins Grey in the third.
- TP battled to the end but succumbed 11-2 under scorching hot field conditions at the diamond.
- TP pitchers Alden, Adi and Harris threw four great innings for the team.
- Under the cruel glare of the unrelenting midday sun, TP catcher Jake exhibited calm leadership as he caught four strong innings behind the dish.
With their provincial championship dreams on the line, TP bounced back with authority this evening with a huge win over Guelph to stave off elimination.
After winning the Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Championship, Toronto Playgrounds is the West Loop representative of the Toronto Baseball Association (TBA) at this weekend’s provincial championship.
GO! TP! GO!