TRAILING 6-5, THE GO GO LIZZIES SCORE FIVE IN THE FINAL INNING TO TOPPLE THE GRITTY METROPOLITANS AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Post composed with file from Ted Sharp.
Beneath a canvas of pitcturesque summer skies for miles around, the Lizzies defeated the Mets 9-6 in four innings of Mosquito Division Round Robin Tournament play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Trailing 6-5, the Lizzies rallied with four runs in the top of the fourth to usurp the Mets. After a one out walk and a pair of steals to reach third, Quinn (14) made a brazen grand theft of home to tie the game 6-6.
Following a hit by Liam (15) and a back to back walks by Sebastian (12) and Coleman (2) that loaded the bases, Daniel (4) delivered a clutch two RBI double that brought Liam and Sebastian home and propel the Lizzies into an 8-6 lead. Manny (6) followed with a fielder’s choice that allowed Coleman to run home with another insurance run.
Refusing to quit, the gritty Metropolitans exercised discipline at the dish and loaded the bases in the bottom of the fourth in a feverish comeback bid.
Shaken, but not stirred, Lizzies closer Sam (8) mowed down three Mets to leave the bases stranded and seal the deal on a hard fought victory.
Here are some additional game highlights:
- Lizzies starter Sam (8) tossed two shutout innings where he struck out three Mets in order in the bottom of the first and fanned three in the fourth to preserve the win.
- Nathan (1) of the Lizzies went 2 for 2 at the plate with a RBI and stolen base.
- Liam (15) avoided being hit by a pitch by putting his bat up and dropping down a key single in the fourth. Liam would subsequently come home to score the Lizzies winning run over the Mets.
- The Lizzies took an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first. After Sam and Jude (5) walked to lead off the inning, Nathan hit a RBI single to plate Sam. With one out and the bases loaded, Sebastian (12) delivered a RBI sacrifice to score Jude.
- In the bottom of the second, the Mets made hay of six consecutive walks issued by the Lizzies and scored three to take a 3-2 lead. Respective RBI walks from Natalie (3), Leandro (15) and Julianna (6) would bring Dylan (4), Georgia (7) and Eli (12) home to roost.
- The Lizzies would answer back with three in the top of the third to retake the lead 5-3. Taking advantage of four walks, the Lizzies would utilize their speed to rattle the Metropolitan defense. Reed (13), Riley (11) and Sam would make respective grand thefts of home.
- The Mets would respond with three in the bottom of the third to take a 6-5 lead. RBI walks from Aiden (11), Thomas (2) and Dylan would deliver Matthew (8), Thor (14) and Dean (9) home in time for their luncheon at Saks Fifth Avenue Restaurant.