A FURIOUS TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS RALLY BID IN THE FINAL INNING FALLS SHORT AS THE A’s EXTINGUISH THE COMEBACK ATTEMPT AND HANG ON FOR THE EBA SELECT SEASON OPENING VICTORY AT RAVINA GARDENSGame Post composed with file from Paul Kelly and Brian Vasoff. Photograph courtesy of Michael Tutton.
Beneath a serene canopy of cool blue Spring skies, the Annette A’s edged our Toronto Playgrounds Minor Peewee Selects 7-6 in 5 ½ innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select Loop action this evening at Ravina Gardens.
Here are some highlights:
- The proceeding was the 2016 EBA Select regular season opener for both teams.
- It was goose eggs for TP’s first three offensive innings
- However, TP’s pitching crew was able to hold the potent Annette offense to just four runs over four innings.
- TP starter Nick (10) pitched two strong innings while allowing two runs in the first frame and then shutting the door on the A’s batting order.
- Meanwhile, TP relievers Jashan (13) and Lucas (47) combined for some pop pop fizz fizz relief: two runs and a zero, respectively.
- TP reliever Jamie (52) pitched the fifth and allowed three runs. However, Jamie remained poised and unflappable as he dug deep to get himself out of a mojo jojo jam during the frame.
- Trailing 7-2, TP rallied for four runs in the top of the fifth to trim the deficit to one.
- However, the A’s eventually snuffed out the TP rally bid to hang on for the win.
- Jude (3) drew an exciting run-down from third in the top of the fifth and somehow managed to make it home to score TP’s fifth run.
- Other than that the scoring was basic — grinding out walks, dropped thirds, singles, steals, and just putting the ball in play to force errors as the twilight descended. A good overall team effort.
The TP Minor Peewee Selects (0-1) continue their road trip next week when they travel to Smythe Park on Wednesday, May 11 to play against the York Gold at 6:15 p.m.