TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS LAUNDER THE WHITE SOX AT MARTINGROVE GARDENS TO EARN THEIR THIRD EBA SELECT VICTORY OF THE SEASON
Game Post composed with file from Vincent Lynch
Beneath a bright and sunny canvas of hot and hazy skies, our Toronto Playgrounds Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Martingrove White Sox 13-7 in seven innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Martingrove Gardens to earn their third win of the season and remain undefeated during the 2016 campaign.
Here is a recap of the proceedings:
- As the visitors, TP came out swinging in the top of the first. After Emmett (8) started the frame with a single, Liam (17) followed with a hard hit double to put two ducks on the pond. With runners at second and third, Sam (2) blasted a shot to the outfield to get 2 RBI double to propel TP into an early 2-0 lead. Marshall (20) followed suit with a RBI double to drive in another run. Then Jordy (1) strode to the plate and delivered a hard RBI single to bring the score to 4-0, before some solid defence by Martingrove finally extinguished TP’s opening offensive salvo.
- In the bottom of the first, TP was stingy on defense as they made two stunning plays for outs – on the first gem, second baseman Jordy scooped up a ground ball and quickly applied a tag on the White Sox base runner trying to advance first to second; and to close out the inning, Duncan (14) made a Gold Glove catch on a moonshot of a fly ball to centre field that had the fans in disbelief.
- In the top of the second, TP tallied three consecutive hits – with Dylan (9) starting it off with a single, followed by Duncan and then Dante (19) with an RBI single that widen the lead to 5-0. Then Martingrove’s defence chalked up three straight outs to close out the.
- In the bottom half of the second, the White Sox offense finally got on the scoreboard as they chalked up a run on three base hits to trim the deficit to four. However, TP was able to limit the damage to one run on a stellar play by first baseman Sam (2), who dove into foul territory to snag a fly ball.
- Toronto Playgrounds answered back in the top half of the third. After Liam led off the inning with a single, the next two TP batters stroked a pair of ground outs that advanced Liam into scoring position at third. Then Jordy cranked a hard RBI single to widen the lead to 6-1.
- TP’s defence was awesome in the bottom of the third with Martingrove batting order retired in three up and three down fashion on outstanding plays by Desmond (3), who vacuumed up a grounder at second base and making the out at first; and Marshall, who charged a slow grounder down third baseline and came up throwing a laser to first to retire the White Sox batter in a close shave play.
- In the top of the fourth, TP was kept off the scoring ledger despite singles by Rennick (4), Duncan and Dante.
- Refusing to surrender, Martingrove closed the gap in the bottom of the fourth as they rallied for two runs on three hits to slice the deficit to three.
- However, TP busted the game wide open in the top of the fifth. After respective singles by Emmett and Liam (17), Sam cranked out a RBI single to collect his third RBI of the night. After Marshall (20) kept the conga line going with a single, Jordy smashed a 2 RBI double. Desmond (3), Thomas (10), Rennick (4) and Dante kept the merriment going with resspective RBI singles. When the dust had finally settled on the base paths, TP had rung up seven runs on ten hits to catapult themselves into a commanding 13-3 advantage.
- In the bottom of the fifth, TP defense came out onto the diamond and ruthlessly kept Martingrove off the scoresheet with three straight outs on solid ground ball defensive plays by Dylan, Desmond and Dante.
- In the top of the sixth, TP went down quietly despite putting two aboard on respective hits by Emmet and Liam.
- The pesky White Sox made a rally charge in the bottom of the sixth as they tallied four runs on six hits to trim the shortfall to 13-7.
- In the seventh, the score did not change with quick half innings by both sides; with only two hits by TP and none by Martingrove, due to two fine outs made by Marcus (29) at pitcher, scooping out two ground balls and firing over to first to get the outs.
In a total team effort, TP tallied 13 runs on 28 hits with some outstanding performances:
- Emmett went 3 for 4 with 3 runs scored.
- Liam batted a shimmering 4 for 4 with 3 runs scored.
- Sam went 2 for 4 with 3 RBI’s.
- Marshall went 2 for 4 with an RBI.
- Jordy batted a sterling 4 for 4 with 4 RBI’s.
- Desmond went 3 for 4 with an RBI.
- Thomas had a hit and RBI.
- Rennick went 2 for 4 with an RBI.
- Dylan had a hit and run scored.
- Duncan went a pristine 3 for 3 at the dish.
- Dante batted a golden 3 for 3 with 2 RBI’s.
- And lastly, kudos to the fine defensive play of Milo (45) behind the plate, who absorbed lots of White Sox punishment from foul tips and stray bats!
After a well deserved bye week away from the EBA Select circuit next week, the TP Rookie Ball Selects (3-0) return home to Christie Pits Diamond 3 on Tuesday, June 7 to play their home opener against the Weston Wolverines at 6:30 p.m. Fans are strongly advised to purchase their tickets in advance of this must see game.