THE GRITTY LIZZIES PREVAIL OVER THE PESKY HALOS IN A NAIL BITER AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summary edited with files from Steve Yacht, Dylan Trowbridge and Michael Goldsmith
Beneath a glaring blue and hazy ceiling of warm Spring skies, the Lizzies edged the Angels 8-7 in 3 ½ thrilling innings of Mosquito Division play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a Lizzies account of the proceedings:
- After a crushing final inning collapse last week versus the Orioles at Trinity Bellwoods Park, the Mosquito Lizzies were fired up for redemption as they took the field against the undefeated Angels.
- In the top of the first, Lizzies starter Jeremy (3) struck out the first two Angels batters that he faced and then tossed a fireball to first base after taking receipt of a blistering grounder back to mound to retire the side.
- In a larcenous grand theft frenzy, Jeremy and Dash (8) stole two bases each in the bottom of the first and Ian (12) stole home as the Lizzies tallied a pair of runs to take a 2-0 lead.
- The Angels came harking back with four quick runs in the top of the second [despite a beautiful pick off at home by pitcher Kaden (9)] to seize a 4-2 advantage.
- However, the Lizzies came back swinging again in the bottom of the second with Thomas (7), Arman (1) and Cassius (5) all making it on base and Levi (13) following with a monster shot and later stealing home to rally back with four runs to end the frame and retake the lead 6-4 .
- The top of the third saw Cassius stop a homer in a thrilling rundown as the Lizzies catcher. Thomas grabbed an infield pop up and Lizzies reliever Kaden smoked the final batter with his blazing fastball to keep the Halos in the pews and off the scoreboard.
- Kaden was right back in the thick of the action when he led off the bottom of the third with a double and proceeded to score on a Dash RBI hit. Mason (4) followed with a whopper of a double.
- Lizzies hurler Jeremy returned to the fray to close out the game in the top of the fourth. After picking up a grounder, he fired another rocket to first to chalk up the first out. Turning to a rambunctious Angels bench with a devilish grin, Jeremy proceeded to strike out the next two batters to seal the deal on a hard fought 8-7 victory.
Here is an Angels summary of the game:
- It was a beautiful night for baseball on diamond 3 where the Lizzies held on to defeat the Angels 8-7.
- Both teams were led by strong pitching, timely hitting and some solid D.
- Angels pitchers Dante, Jonas and Michael threw strikes and kept their team in it as they pitched three innings.
- Andre had a great game in the field and at the plate. Andre also threw out an unsuspecting Lizzies base runner who was trying to steal second base.
- Elliot and Michael had the big hits and all of the Angels were alert at the plate and in the field as they climbed their way back from a big hole in the top of the fourth.
- In the end, the Lizzies pitching was too much as they thwarted Angels’ rally with a game ending strike out.
- Great game!