THE BIG RED MACHINE SNAP A 9-9 DEADLOCK IN THE FINAL INNING TO WIN A SEESAW THRILLER OVER THE D-BACKS AT DOMINICO FIELD AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summary edited with file from Sam Perri
Under a canopy of cool Spring skies, the Reds edged the Diamondbacks 10-9 in a nail biting five inning Bantam Division thriller this evening at Dominico Field at Christie Pits.
Here is a Reds account of the proceedings:
- The first inning ended with the Reds leading 4-3. Reds starter Zac (1) pitched his first game of the season by surrendering only three runs in the top of the first. The Reds sent five batters to the dish to score four runs in the bottom half.
- In the top of the second, Reds reliever Iliana (13) pitched her first game of the season and gave up just two runs. Meanwhile, the D-Backs kept the Reds off the scoreboard in the bottom half to take a 5-4 lead. Of note, the Reds D turned a nifty double play in the second when Iliana caught a fly ball then doubled off the wayfaring Diamondbacks baserunner at second.
- Reds reliever Solomon pitched a scoreless top of the third to keep the Diamondbacks off the scoresheet.
- The Big Red Machine would send eight batters to the plate in the bottom of the third and score four to retake the lead 8-5. The rally was fueled by big hits from Solomon and Cole (2). During the third frame, the Reds D turned another double play when Cole caught a line drive then doubled up the D-Backs baserunner at third.
- The Diamondbacks answered with two in the top half of the fourth to trim the deficit to one. The Reds would reply with one in the bottom of the fourth to increase their advantage to 9-7. After beating out a throw for an infield hit, Quinyaun (14) would steal second and third and score on a wild pitch.
- In the top of the fifth, Reds reliever Iliana’s pitching kept the game tied 9-9 as she limited the DBacks to two runs.
- The Reds would need the bottom portion of the fifth to break a 9-9 tie and win the game. After beating out throw for an infield hit, Solomon stole second and third. Solomon would score the Reds game winning run when Gabriel (8) hit into a fielder’s choice.