THE TWINKIES PREVAIL OVER THE LIZZIES FOR THE VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summaries edited with files from Shane Wright and Steve Yacht
Beneath a serene ceiling of warm summer skies, the Twins defeated the Lizzies 11-5 in five innings of Mosquito Division play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a Twins summary of the proceedings:
- In the top of the first, Pearson (14) worked the count to earn himself a nice walk to first. After Stephen (3) moved Pearson over with a single to put two onboard, Lewis (7) garnered a walk to load the bases. Then with one out, Miles (12) cleared the bases with a hard hit 3 RBI single to propel the Twins into an early 3-0 lead.
- Twins starter Liam (15) fanned the first two Lizzies batters in the bottom of the first before giving up a walk. After the Lizzies baserunner made it to second, he tried to steal third. Unfortunately for him, Twins catcher Stephen threw him out at third on a great throw.
- However, the Lizzies answered back in the bottom of the second. With two outs and runners on first and second, the Lizzies batter hit a stand up 2 RBI triple to left centre — cutting the Twins lead to one. By the end of the inning, the Lizzies would bring home their baserunner from third to tie the game up 3-3.
- The tied game wouldn’t last long in the top of the third. After five Twins reached base [Emmi (10), Julius (11), Pearson, Stephen, Liam (8)], Lewis crushed a triple of his own. The Twins would score four and mercy the Lizzies to take a 7-3 lead.
- With Twins reliever Lewis (7) on the mound [in relief for Sadie (2)] in the bottom of the fourth, he struck out three of the four batters he faced and kept the Twins lead intact.
- In the top of the fourth, the Twins would go down quietly with their 7-3 lead intact.
- Hard throwing Twins reliever Liam (8) entered the fray in the bottom of the fourth. Liam would give up two runs, but got all three outs himself, striking out three Lizzies.
- In the top of the fifth, the Twins would add four insurance runs to stretch their lead to 11-5.
- Twins closer Theo (5) would strike out the side in the bottom half of the fifth to seal the deal.
Here is a Lizzies log of the game:
- The Lizzies returned home to Christie Pits to take on the Twins on Thursday evening.
- Lizzies starter Cassius (5) opened up the top of the first with two blazing strikeouts.
- The Twins returned the favour in the bottom half of the first by retiring the first two Lizzies batters, with Finn’s (6) patient at bat leading to a walk and stolen base. The inning ended with the Twins up 3 to 0.
- The Lizzies came back strong in the top of the second. KJ (2) made an amazing sliding pop fly catch and reliever Jeremy (3) proceeded to strike out the next two Twinkies for three up three down inning.
- In the bottom of the second, after Thomas (7) and Levi (13) walked to put two aboard, Ian (12) delivered a 2 RBI triple. KJ followed with a RBI single to tie the game.
- However, the Twins caught fire in the top of the third with four runs to retake the lead 7-3.
- Despite Owen’s (15) single and two stolen bases, the Lizzies were held scoreless in the bottom of the third.
- Lizzies reliever Finn (6) kept the Twins off the scoresheet in the top of the fourth with two strikeouts. Finn also received some great defensive support in the field from Liam (14), who grabbed a grounder at second base and made a great throw to first to chalk up the out
- In the bottom of the fourth, the Lizzies racked up two more runs with both Cassius and Kaden (9) stealing home.
- However, the Twins roared back with four more runs in the top of the fifth to extend their lead to 11-5. It was a lead which the Lizzies couldn’t answer.
- Nevertheless, a great offensive showing overall for the Lizzies.