THE GRITTY RED BIRDS PREVAIL OVER THE PESKY LIZZIES TO TAKE THE NIGHTCAP AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summaries edited with files from Paul Bagnell and Steve Yacht
Under the shimmer of the incandescent lights on a wondrous summer night, the Cardinals edged the Lizzies 10-9 in three thrilling innings of Peewee Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a Cardinals account of the proceedings:
- The Cardinals topped the Lizzies in a tense 10-9 battle under the lights of Diamond 2 at Christie Pits on the evening of July 4.
- The Lizzies mounted an impressive comeback in the bottom of the third, scoring four runs to close the gap with the Cardinals to a single run. But victory belonged to the Redbirds when Jude (3) caught a pop-up to shortstop that came off the ninth Lizzies batter of the inning. Alex (9) pitched to that final batter, and he and Jude were mobbed by their teammates in a wild victory celebration.
- The game began with an impressive display of offensive power from the Cardinals. After Rory (12) drew a leadoff walk, Alex powered him home with a triple. Spencer (10), Paul (15) and Diogo (4) also drew walks, and Spencer and Paul later scored on an RBI single by Louis (1) and an inning-ending RBI walk by Jude.
- Cardinals starter Louis (1) pitched the bottom of the first, striking out two and allowing just two runs. Spencer tagged a runner out at second. The score was 4-2 Cardinals at the end of the first.
- The Cardinals scored another four in the top of the second inning. Alexia (2), Judith (11), Reed (13) and Rory all came across the plate. Judith and Reed got to base on singles, and Alex had another productive plate appearance, hitting a double that scored Judith and Reed. Paul ended the inning by drawing an RBI walk.
- The Lizzies scored three in the bottom of the second, with Louis pitching again and notching three strikeouts. It was Cardinals 8, Lizzies 5 at the end of the second.
- The third inning marked the beginning of the Lizzies’ impressive comeback, as the team held the Cardinals to only two runs in the top half of the final inning. Michael (5) and Louis both scored after drawing walks.
- And the Lizzies pushed the Cardinals to the limit in the bottom of the third, scoring four runs to bring the Lizzies with a single run of the Cardinals. Spencer displayed his skills as a catcher in the inning and Ella (8) continued her steady defensive play at second base. Jude extinguished the rally by hauling in the pop-up to short.
- The Lizzies met the Cardinals under the bright lights of Christie Pits Diamond 2 this week.
After the Cardinals racked up a quick four runs in the top of the first, the Lizzies answered back with a couple of their own in the bottom half of the inning with both Raymond (14) and Jona (6) walking and Zenon (9) racking up an RBI single and stealing home.
- As the Lizzies struggled defensively in the top of the second, the Cards came on strong again with another four runs to run their total up to eight.
- However, the Lizzies came out looking for vengeance in the bottom of the second. Elayna (11) opened the frame by rocketing a home run shot to right field. After walking, Taio (8) proceeded to steal second and third. With Raymond walking to put two aboard, Zenon delivered them home with a 2 RBI hit. Zenon garnered a total of three RBIs on the night.
- After Lizzies reliever Raymond walked the Cardinals first batter in the top of the third, he rifled a pick off throw to first for the out! Although the Lizzies defense also caught another Cardinal stealing at third, the visiting Red Birds managed to score another two runs in the inning to take a 10-5 lead.
- The Lizzies entered the bottom of the inning needing six runs for the win. After Nicolas (3) walked and stole a couple of bases, it was followed by a series of walks by the Lizzies which led to four quick runs to slice the shortfall to one. However, the Cardinals managed to hold on with a game ending strikeout and came out on top 10-9.