THE ARTFUL DODGERS PREVAIL OVER THE MIGHTY GIANTS AT BICKFORD PARK
Game Summary edited with file from Jeff Kolyn
Beneath a blanket of serene summer skies, the Jays defeated the Giants 8-5 in 3 ½ innings of Peewee Division action this evening at the Bickford Park South Diamond.
Here is a Dodgers account of the proceedings:
- Dodgers starter Lucas (2) took to the mound in the top of the first. After the Giants leadoff hitter reached base and went all the way around to third, Lucas bore down and struck out the next two batters. Subsequently, with the bases loaded, Lucas got the Giants batter to hit a hard ball to short stop Leo (1), who picked it up and made the chitty chitty bang bang 6-5 force out throw to Cooper (7) at third to escape the inning unscathed.
- In the bottom of the second, Leo started the Dodgers off with a two out walk. This was followed by Cooper and Ezra to load the bases. Then Aaron (5) stepped up and delivered a RBI single scoring Leo and giving the Dodger Blue a early 1-0 lead.
- Dodgers reliever Wahid (9) [pitching for his second inning of the season] entered the fray in the top of the second and struck out side while giving up just a single walk to keep the Giants off the scoresheet.
- In the bottom of the second inning, Elliott (13) led off the frame with a full count walk and stole himself around to third base. After Lucas walked and stole second, Yonah (11) hit a sharp RBI fielders choice to advance Lucas to third and score Elliott. After Joseph (10) walked and stole second, Lucas stole home. With Joseph advancing to third on a pair of steals, Wahid and Pierro (14) followed with back to back walks to load the bases. Leo followed with a RBI walk to bring Joseph home to roost. With bases still juiced to the gills, Ezra managed to work a full count RBI walk [after fouling off some tough Giants pitches] that allowed Wahid to waltz home and bring the curtain down on the inning with the Dodgers up 5-0.
- Entering the proceedings in the top of the third, Dodgers reliever Elliott struck out a Giants batter and snagged a grounder up the middle and got the force out at first base to chalk up two outs. However, after a series of bad hops, bloop singles, and slow rollers, the Mighty Giants managed to rally for four and trim the deficit to one.
- However, the artful Dodgers answered with three in the bottom of the third to widen their lead to 8-4. After Aaron led off the inning with a walk and a theft of second, Lucas came up and smashed a solid RBI single to centre. After Joseph walked and Wahid got plunked (again!), Pierro stepped up and smashed a hard 2 RBI single to centre, scoring both runners.
- In the top of the fourth, Dodgers closer Aaron struck out the side to seal the deal.