THE GRITTY EXPOS PREVAIL OVER THE PESKY CUBBIES TO TAKE THE HONEY JAR OF SWEET VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summary edited with files from Bill Evans and Scott Atkinson
Beneath a canvas of warm summer skies for miles around, the Expos defeated the Cubs 10-8 in 3 ½ innings of Peewee Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is an Expos log of the proceedings:
- The Expos held on to top the Cubs 10-8 in 3 ½ innings.
- Pitching for the Expos were Andy (1), Charlie (7), Harris (12) and Juan (13), who made his first appearance ever on the mound! Way to go Juan!
- Harris, Taras (11), Daniel (8) and Andy each had doubles to power the Expos attack.
- William (9) and Charlie recorded hits.
- Harris, Daniel and Charlie caught for the Expos.
- Juan made a great play on a fly ball at second base to cap a 1-2-3 second inning.
- Thanks to Raymond (00) and Julius (0) for filling in the gaps on the Expos roster.
- Umpires Bennett and Cormack did a stellar job officiating the game.
- A fun time was had by all!
Here is a Cubs log of the game:
First inning: The Cubs scored two in the top of the first. With Cubs starter Felix (2) pitching and Savannah (10), the Cubs held the Expos to three runs in the bottom of the first.
Second inning: Some stellar Expos pitching retired the Cubs in 1-2-3 fashion in the top of the second. The Expos followed with another three runs in the bottom half of the frame to widen their lead to 6-2.
Third inning: Showing no signs of surrender, the Cubs rallied with four in the top half of the third to tie the Expos 6-6. The Cubbies comeback was keyed by runs from Sebastian (5), Matthew (3), Felix (2), and a great steal of home by Owen (9). However, the Cubs rally celebration was short-lived as the Expos answered with four in the bottom of the inning to retake the lead 10-6.
Fourth inning: Refusing to wave the white flag, the pesky Cubs battled hard in the top of the fourth and rallied for two runs to trim the deficit to two. However, some great Expos pitching closed out the game and the darling Cubbies fell to the Expos 10-8.