WITH TACKLE BOX IN HAND, THE ATHLETICS PREVAIL OVER THE DEVILISH RAYS AT CHRISTIE PITSGame Summary edited with file from Clint Lau
Beneath a sticky layer of hot sun and humidity, the A’s defeated the Rays 9-5 in three innings of Mosquito Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is an A’s account of the proceedings:
- It was the A’s at Rays on a beautiful Thursday evening at Christie Pits, where some good pitching and hitting was on display by both teams. However, in the end, the A’s managed to prevail for a 9-5 win.
In the top of the first, Dashiell (3) of the A’s ran out a single on a tough play to first. Two batters later, Pasha (7) hit a scorcher to the outfield for a 3 RBI triple. The Athletics tacked on another run to end the inning with a 4-0 lead.
- A’s starter Alex (10) took the mound in the bottom of the first and faced a tough but patient Rays batting order. Despite a workmanlike effort by Alex, the Rays who scored four runs to tie the game.
- After Alex led off the top of the second with a single, he was subsequently brought home by Noah (4) to give the A’s a 5-4 lead. It was the only A’s sole run of the inning.
- A’s reliever Elias (13) entered the fray in the bottom of the second and held the Rays off the scoreboard. After striking out the first Rays batter, Elias finished the inning by catching a pop up and then stepping on second base for an unassisted double play.
- The top of the third inning showcased some more of the A’s offensive prowess and discipline at the plate. Jean-Olivier (15), Wolf (1) and Pasha drew walks. James (9) picked up a RBI via a sacrifice hit. This was followed by Cooper (2), who drove in another run with a RBI double. And the icing on the cake was Elias’ 2 RBI double to left field that extended the A’s lead to 9-4.
- A’s closer Cooper (2) came in to seal the seal in the bottom of the third. After Cooper struck out the first batter, the pesky Rays managed to load the bases and score a run yo trim the deficit to four. However, Cooper settled in and retired the side to bring the curtain down on the Rays rally attempt.