THE ATHLETICS FEND OFF A FINAL INNING RALLY BY THE M’s TO HOLD ON FOR THE VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITSGame Summary edited with file from Clint Lau
Beneath a blanket of warm and sunny skies, the A’s edged the Mariners 6-5 in 3 ½ innings of Mosquito Division play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a Mariners account of the proceedings:
- It was a wonderful evening of fantastic baseball as the streaking A’s took on the mighty Mariners.
- A’s starter Elias (13) began the game in strong fashion by inducing a pop up fly ball, which he cleanly fielded. That effort set the tone for the proceeding as Elias struck out the next two batters to hold the Mariners off the scoreboard in the top of the first.
- In the bottom of the first, A’s lead off man Noah (4) smashed a double and eventually stole home to put the A’s up 1-0. Afterwards, the Mariners starting pitcher mowed down the A’s in order to bring the inning to a close.
- A’s reliever Jonas (8) came on throwing hard in the top of the second jst as the Mariners bats came to life. Jonas received strong defensive support during the frame with an Elias to Sammy (13) relay and tag out at second base for the first out. However, the Mariners would not be denied as they tallied four to take a 4-1 lead.
- In the bottom of the second, Jonas started the A’s offensive response by drawing a walk, stealing second and scoring the a run to trim the deficit to two.
- A’s reliever Jayden (11) came on in the top of the third to hold off the pesky Mariners as they threatened to widen their lead. Jayden rung up some crucial strikeouts before any runs could cross the plate.
- In the bottom of the third, Noah ignited the A’s offense once again by drawing a walk. After James (9) moved Noah into scoring position with a sacrifice hit, Elias delivered a RBI double to bring Noah home. Subsequently, Archie (8) stroked a RBI single to close out the inning. With three more Athletics crossing the plate, the A’s had retaken the lead 6-4.
- A’s pitcher Alex (10) came out of the bullpen to close out the game in the top of the fourth. After a shaky start, whereby the Mariners pulled within one, Alex settled in to strike out the next two batters and seal the win for the A’s.
- Thanks to Rookie Ball call ups Sammy, Zeke, and Archie for joining the A’s roster and participating in our game versus the Mariners.