THE GRITTY ATHLETICS TAKE DOWN THE SCRAPPY LIZZIES IN THE NIGHTCAP UNDER THE LIGHTS AT CHRISTIE PITSGame Summary edited with file from Lindsay Sharpe
Beneath the shimmer of the incandescent lights on a warm and humid midsummer’s night, the A’s defeated the Lizzies 12-5 in three innings this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is an A’s account of the proceedings:
- In the top of the first, the A’s started the game with their batting eyes in mid-game form and managed to patiently manufacture four runs to stake themselves to an early 4-0 lead.
- A’s starter Pasha (7) pitched a solid bottom of the first. However, the scrappy Lizzies rallied to tie the game at 4-4.
- The Athletics started off the top of the second by allowing the game to come to them. After the Lizzies walked in the first A’s run, Jayden (11) smashed a bases loaded 3 RBI triple to end the inning with an 8-4 advantage.
- In the bottom of the second, A’s reliever Jayden (11) pitched a scoreless inning to preserve a four run lead. Jayden also helped his own cause by corralling two infield popups dispensed by the Lizzies.
- The train kept a rollin’ for the A’s offense in the top of the third inning. The highlight was a key single by Cooper (2) as the Athletics added four insurance runs to take a 12-4 lead.
- A’s closer Cooper (2) pitched a solid bottom of the third, where he surrendered one run while striking out the side to seal the deal on the 12-5 win.