IN A VERY SOXY SHOWDOWN, THE GRITTY RED SOX AND PESKY WHITE SOX PLAY TO A DRAW AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summaries edited with files from Richard Park and Tim Burke
Beneath a warm and hazy ceiling of midsummer skies, the Red Sox and White Sox battled to a 9-9 tie in four riveting innings of Mosquito Division play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a Red Sox account of the proceedings:
- It was a back and forth tooth and nail battle all evening long as the White Sox replied for every run that the Red Sox put up on the scoresheet.
- The Red Sox scored four in the top half of the first to take an early 4-0 lead.
- However, in the bottom half of the first, the White Sox were able to tag Red Sox starter Vincent (4) with four runs to tie it up 4-4.
- In the top of the second, the Red Sox were able to squeeze out a run to retake the lead 5-4. Lucas (11) and Sasha (6) were able to advance the runner on fielder’s choice to score Adrian (15).
- Red Sox reliever Daniel (5) held the White Sox to one run with two strikeouts in the bottom of the second to keep the game knotted at 5-5.
- In the second, Daniel was helped out on a nice throw out at first base by Red Sox right fielder Thomas(13), who made a rocket throw to first baseman Noah (8) to tally the 9-3 putout.
- Despite his two out single in the top of the third, Vincent was unable to come home with a very effective White Sox reliever on the mound.
- Red Sox reliever Anthony (2) blanked the White Sox in the bottom of the fourth with a walk and three strikeouts to keep the game tied.
- In the top of the fourth, the Red Sox tacked on four runs with a solid single by Lucas (11) to take a 9-5 lead.
- However, the White Sox responded in kind with Red Sox closer Sasha (6) on the mound. Sasha and catcher Owen (3) made a valiant effort to end the game with a play at the plate on a brazen White Sox steal of home by Joaquin (11), but came up short.
- With two outs and the game deadlocked 9-9, Sasha struck out the White Sox batter to bring the curtain down on the proceedings. Sasha tallied three strikeouts to subdue the White Sox uprising.
Here is a White Sox log of the game:
Charlie (5) [a call up from Rookie Ball who was inserted into the White Sox lineup] played strong defense and had a great eye at the plate to get on base each time.
The White Sox received big RBI hits from Kade (9), who produced four RBI’s versus the Red Sox.
In addition, the White Sox got key hits from Tavaris (5), which generated two RBI’s.
Daniella stroked her first big hit into the outfield!
Down 9-8, Joaquin (11) stole home in the bottom of the fourth to tie the game!