THE TWINKIES CAGE THE O’s IN THE NIGHTCAP AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a blanket of warm and humid skies, the Twins defeated the Orioles 12-6 in three innings of Mosquito Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here are the highlights:
- The Twins staked themselves to an early 4-0 lead in the top of the first with a 2 RBI double by Lewis (7) and a 2 RBI single by Pearson (14).
- After allowing the first two Orioles to reach base, Twins starter Lewis (7) struck out three in a row to keep the O’s in the nest and off the scoring ledger.
- In the top of the second, the Twins scored four to widen their lead to 8-0. The Twinkies attack was keyed by a 3 RBI triple from Lewis.
- The O’s would take advantage of five walks and two hits in the bottom of the second and answer with four runs to trim the margin to 8-4.
- In a spirited foray on the mound, Twins reliever Sadie (2) struck out two O’s in the second inning.
- The Twins would tally four insurance runs in the top of the third to increase their advantage to 12-4.
- Refusing to surrender, the Orioles rallied for two runs [Rhys (6) and Duncan (10)] in the bottom of the third to make it a six run game.
- Finding the groove, Twins closer Stephen (3) would strike out two in the third to quell the Orioles insurgency and seal the deal on the victory.