TAKING NO PRISONERS, THE LIZZIES TAKE DOWN THE BLUEBIRDS AT CHRISTIE PITSGame Summary edited with file from Andrew Galloway
Beneath a sheath of hot and muggy skies, the Lizzies defeated the Jays 12-2 in 3 ½ innings of Mosquito Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a Lizzies account of the proceedings:
- In the top of the first, Lizzies starter Finn (6) pitched extremely well by striking out two Jays and allowing only one run to score with some incredible off speed pitching.
- After the Jays starting pitcher started strong with a great strike out in the bottom of the first, he then proceeded to walk Mason (4) and Kaden (9) on some close pitch calls. Cassius (5) stepped up with two runners on and stroked a beautiful 2 RBI triple. Then Cassius proceeded to steal home, where he was called out on a bang-bang play, until the umpire realized the catcher didn’t have the ball. Following a walk to Finn, Dash (8) stepped up to the plate and hit a sweet RBI double scoring Finn. After Jeremy (3) advanced Finn to third base with a single, seven-year old Leland stepped up and blasted a RBI single to score Dash and give the Lizzies to a 4-1 lead.
- Lizzies reliever Kaden (9) entered the fray in the top of the second and was equally as effective in his pitching as he provided a couple of strikeouts and was well supported by his D, which made a couple of great defensive plays. During the inning, Lizzies catcher Cassius made an incredible throw from his knees in an attempt to catch a Jays baserunner stealing second base. The Jays baserunner narrowly escaped the tag and that put a runner into scoring position. Subsequently, the Jays runner at second came home to roost after a nice RBI single to the outfield that trimmed the deficit to two. With the bases loaded, Kaden threw a beautiful fastball and catcher Cassius picked off a wayfaring Jays runner at first after he attempted to steal with nowhere to go.
- After William (10) walked and Colston (11) lined a sweet single to right field to open the bottom of the second, Mason drew a walk to load the bases. Then Kaden came through with a clutch bases loaded 2 RBI single. After Cassius stroked a hard RBI single to score a run, Finn stepped up and drove in another run to widen the Lizzies lead to 8-2.
- In the top of the third, Lizzies reliever Cassius (5) came in to pitch some middle relief and promptly struck out the side on fourteen pitches, thwarting any comeback thoughts by the Jays.
- After Dash led things off in the bottom of the third with a double, Jeremy and Leland followed with a pair of walks by to load the bases. After a couple of nice strikeouts by the Jays relief pitcher, Mason cranked a 2 RBI single. Then Kaden stroked a RBI single to score another. Following a walk to Cassius, Finn completed the inning with a RBI single to score the final run of the frame and put the Lizzies up 12-2.
- With Lizzies closer Dash (8) on the mound in the top of the fourth, the Jays showed signs of strength by patiently taking pitches to loaded the bases. Dash eventually returned to his usual self and struck out a couple of Jays and only allowed two runs to score. Dash ended the game in true Lizzies fashion with a blistering fastball to seal the deal on a 12-4 win.
- Player of the game honours were awarded to all four Lizzies pitchers!!!!