THE EXPOS PREVAIL OVER THE METROPOLITANS IN THE NIGHTCAP AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summaries edited with files from Andrew Larsen and Terry Brown
Beneath a ceiling of hazy and cloudy midsummer skies, the Expos defeated the Mets 9-6 in 3 ½ innings of Peewee Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is an Expos account of the proceedings:
- Under middling August skies, the Expos faced the Mets at Christie Pits.
- The Expos had no problem recruiting some fellow TP’ers to round out their roster. They were happy to welcome Vince, Ian, Gabriel, Alex and Nigel to the team.
- In the end, the Expos triumphed over the Mets after four innings of baseball. The final score was 9-6.
- Expos starter Charlie (7) threw three strikeouts and kept the Mets off the scoreboard in the top of the first.
- In the top of the second inning, Expos reliever Nigel kept the Mets off the scoresheet by picking off two wayfaring Mets, who had wandered afar from their bases.
- Andy (1) of the Expos caught a soaring fly ball in the outfield with a heap of panache.
- Ian matched Andy’s panache with a snag of his own in the next inning.
- Cameron (5) showed good speed and judgment on the base paths.
- Expos reliever Andy (1) pitched with growing confidence in the third inning. The inning ended with Charlie (7) and Gus (6) combining to throw out a Mets base runner at third.
- Vince was on the mound for the Expos final inning and showed true grit and determination. The Mets were clawing their way back when he shut it down. Vince covered home after a wild pitch and tagged the advancing runner, thus ending another night of exciting baseball.
- Nigel, Alex, Gabriel, Vince and Ian [the Expos recruits] played important roles in the victory. The Expos were grateful for their efforts.
- Expos Coach Andy would like to thank Coach Gordon for stepping up and helping out.
Here is a Mets log of the game:
- Mets lead off hitter James (9) reached base all three plate appearances, with a walk, two singles, two runs scored and a run batted in. James also made two fine fielding plays at shortstop.
- Jack (1) made good contact, hitting a long fly out to centre in the second and smacking a double in the third that brought in two runners. Jack also pitched the second inning for the Mets. Despite struggling with his control early, he held the high-scoring Expos to only one run and recorded two strikeouts.
- Emilia (5) reached base all three plate appearances, drawing two walks and clubbing an RBI double that soared high into the sky and over the right fielder’s head. Emilia has reached base in nine consecutive plate appearances.
- Matthew D. (14) was all hustle, reaching first on a dropped third strike, and later scoring.
- Devin (8) had two walks and an RBI ground out.
- Teddy (12) has slowly refined his batting and pitching mechanics all season, and Monday showed his patience is paying off. Ted has walked or put the ball in play his last eight plate appearances, not striking out since July 11. In the third inning, Teddy took the mound and did not allow a walk for the first time this year.
- Isaac (4) featured in some exciting plays. After bobbling a grounder at first base, Isaac quickly recovered the ball and threw out a runner at home. In the Mets’ fourth-inning rally, he drew a walk and stole home. Isaac also recorded two strikeouts on the mound.
- Leandro (10) walked and scored, and caught two solid innings for Isaac and Ted.
- Jade (6) caught a line drive at first base, draw a walk, and scored a run.
- Petra (3) was feeling under the weather, but came out anyway to play the outfield and encourage her teammates.
- The Expos had a large 9-1 heading into the fourth. The Mets needed a long rally and responded by sending 10 batters to the plate and scoring five runs. Well done!
- In 22 total plate appearances on Monday night, Mets batter reached base or put the ball in play a remarkable 19 times, collecting nine walks and four hits.
- The Expos are commended for their fine defensive play, especially picking off two runners and catching two others on steal attempts.