WITH TWO ROUND ROBIN PLAYOFF VICTORIES ON SATURDAY, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS REMAINS UNDEFEATED AT THE TOURNEY AS IT HEADS TOWARDS A SUNDAY SEMI-FINAL SHOWDOWN VERSUS THE ROYAL YORK CARDINALS AT NEILSON PARKTournament Game Summary edited with files from Jason Koskela and Vincent Lynch. Photos courtesy of Cynthia Chan.
Beneath a blanket of humid summer skies, our Toronto Playgrounds Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Annette A’s 19-4 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Rookie Ball Select Championship Tournament action this afternoon at Neilson Park to win their second round robin playoff game.
Coupled with a thrilling 13-12 come from behind seven inning victory over the Bloordale Bombers early this morning, TP has won its first two playoff games at the tourney. With a 2-0 playoff record, TP has punched a ticket into the semi-final round of the 2016 EBA Rookie Ball Select Championship Tournament.Here are some highlights:
- TP won its second game at the tourney defeating Annette 19-4 in six innings. The game was called in the sixth due to the tourney’s mercy rule.
- Annette started strong with two runs in the top of the first before TP’s defense could register three outs.
- However, TP answered back in the bottom of the first with six runs to take a 6-2 lead. The TP attack was powered by Sam’s (2) three RBI triple that drove home the first three TP hitters that had reached base with singles at the start of the inning.
- In the top of the second, TP’s defense stiffened and shutdown Annette.
- TP padded their lead in the bottom of the second by adding two more runs to take an 8-2 lead.
- Both TP and Annette played great defence in the third and fourth innings and no runs were scored by either side.
- In the top of the fifth, the A’s got one back to close the gap to 8-3.
- But TP’s bats woke up again in the bottom of the fifth as they pounded out ten hits and scored seven runs to widen their lead to 15-3. The offensive highlight of the TP surge being a sequence of triple, triple, double by the top of the line-up consisting of Liam (17), Dylan (9) and Jordan (1).
- In the top of the sixth, Annette rallied one run, but TP managed to generate four insurance runs in the bottom half of the inning to close out the game.
The TP Rookie Ball Selects [2-0] journey at the EBA Select tourney continues tomorrow (Sunday, August 21) morning at Neilson Park when they will play the Royal York Cardinals in a semi-final game at 9:00 a.m.
Additional updates will be posted as they become available.