THE MIGHTY GIANTS CLIP THE REDBIRDS IN THE NIGHTCAP AT CHRISTIE PITSGame Summary edited with file from Kevin Lawrie
Under the glimmer of the incandescent lights on a tranquil summer night, the Giants edged the Cardinals 6-5 in three quick paced innings of Peewee Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a Giants account of the proceedings:
- The Giants and Cardinals matchup was a quick three-inning game because the previous Peewee Division game involving the Cubs & Lizzies went long.
- In the bottom of the first, the Cardinals staked themselves to an early 4-0 lead.
- The Giants took advantage of four straight walks in the top second, followed by a Gabriel’s (9) two-RBI single, to take a 5-4 lead.
- Giants reliever Alex (13) surrendered only one run as the pesky Cards tied the game 5-5 in the bottom second.
- After Alex (13) led off the top of the third with a single Eamon’s (1) delivered a single to move him over. Subsequently, Alex stole home for the go-ahead run. Then the Cardinals reliever struck out three straight Giants to end the inning – stranding Eamon on third base.
- The Cardinals were unable to score in the bottom half of the third as Giants closer Javert (3) converted his fifth save in five chances. Javert got two quick outs on a line drive to shortstop Alex and a groundout to third baseman Oliver (12), before a final strikeout to seal deal on the win.
- With the dog days of summer winding down, the Giants had ten regular roster players in attendance – including three Select players. Each Select player sat one inning – giving everyone else a chance to play the entire game