IN A WEDNESDAY NIGHT SPECIAL, THE INTERGALACTIC ASTROS PREVAIL OVER THE PESKY BEANTOWNERS AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summaries edited with files from Matthew Scuby and Richard Park
Beneath a layer of warm summer skies, the Astros defeated the Red Sox 7-4 in four innings of Mosquito Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is an Astros log of the game:
- In a Wednesday showdown, the Astros won 7-4 over the Red Sox in four innings at Christie Pits last night.
- The Astros offence was paced by some key hits in the third inning, notably a 2-run double by Desmond (3) and an RBI single by Charlie S. (8).
- But as always, the key to success is strong defence and pitching, and the Astros received strong innings on the mound from Simon (6), Charlie N. (4), Desmond (3), and Vince (10).
It was a tough Mosquito Division battle for the undermanned Red Sox against a hard hitting and throwing Astros team. The Sox made some great fielding plays but also some uncharacteristic errors that put them in a hole early.
- Red Sox starter Anthony (2) pitched the top of the first and gave up three runs on three hits with two strikeouts. Anthony helped out his own cause by snagging a hot shot off the bat of an Astros batter and making the toss to Red Sox first baseman Vincent (4) for the easy out.
- In the bottom of the first, the Red Sox were able to load the bases on singles by Vincent and Lucas (11), but were unable to cash in any runs and trailed 3-0.
- Reliever Lucas (11) made his Red Sox pitching debut in the top of the second by blanking the Astros on a tag-out at home by catcher Daniel (5) and two strikeouts.
- The Red Sox were blanked by the Astros in the bottom half of the frame.
- In the top of the third, Red Sox reliever Vincent (4) started strong with a strikeout. Vincent was also helped out by a fly out catch by Sox first baseman Alex (14). However, the Astros were able to stake themselves to four more runs to widen their lead to 7-0.
- With their backs against the wall, the pesky Red Sox did not give up and replied with four runs of their own in the bottom of the third to trim the deficit to three.
- Reds Sox reliever Alex (14) entered the fray in the top of the fourth and shut down the Astros offence. Alex was helped out defensively by Sox catcher Myles (9) and third baseman Anthony (2), who combined to erase an Astros player who was caught stealing. Alex also rang up two strikeouts to give the Red Sox a chance to rally and win the game.
- Myles (9) singled and made it to third base. But the Red Sox were unable to capitalize and make the comeback.