TAKING NO PRISONERS, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS CAGE THE CARDINALS AT JEFF HEALEY PARK TO EARN THEIR FIRST EBA SELECT VICTORY OF THE SEASON
Beneath a blanket of cool Spring skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Royal York Cardinals 29-18 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Jeff Healey Park to earn its first victory of the season.
Here is a summary of the proceedings courtesy of Anaud Ganpaul:
- TP charged out of the gates with a strong four run effort in the top half of the first inning. Duncan started a two out rally with a double. Dylan P. doubled him home. Momo kept it going with a double. Charlie C. stepped up to the plate with two ducks on the pond and singled home a run. Arno stroked in another run and Milo completed the scoring with another RBI single.
- In the bottom of the first, TPs defence recorded its first 1-2-3 inning, with a pop out followed by two strong put outs to first baseman Arlo.
- The TP Major Rookie Ball Selects added to their lead with a four run second inning to stretch their advantage to 8-0. Dylan S. led off the frame with a single. Will followed that up with another single. Keith added another single to drive in a run. Adam kept the singles parade going to drive in another run. Troy drove in a run and Duncan singled in fourth run of the inning.
- Royal York came roaring back with a fury in the bottom of the second. The Cardinals scored five runs to trim the deficit to three. With their lead whittled down to 8-5, the rabid TP fans in the bleachers were somewhat nervous. Nevertheless, the TP defence still made some stellar plays during the frame. Charlie C. played good heads up baseball by backing up the first baseman and gunning down a Cardinals base runner at first.
- However, TP answered back with resolve in the top of the third as they plated five runs to widen their lead to 13-5. Momo led off the inning with a single, followed by a single from Charlie C. Arlo delivered a grace under pressure two RBI single. Milo stroked a RBI double. Dylan S. followed with a RBI single. Following a single by Will, Adam lined a single to drive in a run.
- In the bottom of the third, TP defence came up strong again by holding the potent Royal York batting order to two runs. This was punctuated by a lights out throw from centre fielder Keith to catcher Duncan to throw out a Cardinals base runner barreling homeward.
- With the pedal to the metal, TP plated another five runs in the top of the fourth to increase their tally to 18-7. Following a lead off single by Duncan, Dylan P and Momo stroked back to back singles to load the bases. Charlie C. stepped up and delivered an RBI single. Arlo kept the single parade going to drive in another run. This wasfollowed by yet another single from Milo to add another run. Then Cooper drove in a run and Dylan S. doubled in another run.
- In the bottom of the fourth, the TP defence kept the Cardinals offense in their nest by chalking up another 1-2-3 inning.
- TP added three more runs to their tally in the top fifth to take a 21-5 lead. Adam led off the inning with a double. Troy stroked a double to cash in a run. Duncan then stepped up and crushed the first TP Major Rookie Ball Select home run of the season to cash in two runs.
- With their backs against the wall, a gritty Royal York squad mounted their comeback attempt with five runs in the bottom of the 5th to trim the margin to 21-10. TP turned two clutch 5-2 defensive putouts to douse the Cardinals rally. Third baseman Duncan rifled a throw to catcher Cooper for the second out. And then they did it again on the very next Red Birds batter to close out the frame.
- Not to be outdone, TP answered with eight BIG insurance runs in the top of the sixth to seal the deal and widen their lead to 29-12. Arlo singled to start off a two out rally. Milo followed with a single. Cooper singled in a run. Dylan S. followed that with a two run triple. Will singled in a run. Keith stepped up and stroked a single. Adam singled in another run. Troy stroked a two run triple and Charlie Z. singled in the TP Major Rookie Ball Selects final run of the proceedings.
- Royal York gamely rallied with six in the bottom of the sixth to close within eleven. However, the Cardinals could not come any closer as TP sealed the deal on their first EBA Select victory of the 2017 season.
- Congratulations to the team on a well-played first win of the season. There were a lot of offensive fireworks with contributions from everyone. Troy had 3 RBIs and a triple; Charlie Z. had an RBI; Duncan went 4 for 5 at the dish with 3 RBIs and a home run; Dylan P. had an RBI; Momo went 3 for 4; Charlie C. went 3 for 4 with a RBI; Arlo went 4 for 4 with 4 RBIs; Milo went 4 for 4 with 3 RBIs; Cooper drove in 2 RBIs; Dylan S. went 4 for 4 with a triple and 4 RBIs; Will went 3 for 4 with a RBI; Keith drove in a RBI; and Adam went 3 for3 with 3 RBIs.
- In a postgame media scrum, TP Major Rookie Ball Select Coach Garth Nichols commented on the team’s game versus Royal York: “It was a good team effort tonight. The TP bats were on fire and we had three shutdown innings of defence to stymie the Cardinals.”
The TP Major Rookie Ball Selects (1-1) return home to Christie Pits Diamond 3 next Tuesday, May 23 to play host to the Bloordale Gold at 6:30 p.m.