TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS BURY THE GOLD TO EARN THEIR SECOND EBA SELECT VICTORY OF THE SEASON
Beneath a duvet of warm Spring skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Bloordale Gold 18-3 in 5 ½ innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a summary of the proceedings courtesy of Anaud Ganpaul:
- Bloordale came to play and jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first.
- In the bottom half of the first inning, Adam (20) got a two out rally started with a double. Dylan S. (10) singled him home to cut the Bloordale lead in half.
- The Gold threatened in the top of the second by putting two mallards on the lake. However, TP quashed the insurgency and kept them off the scoresheet.
- In the bottom of the second, the TP bats came alive as they plated five to take a 6-2 lead. After Charlie Z. (8) led off the frame with a hit, Arlo (32) followed up with a single. With two ducks on the pond, Duncan (14) came up to bat and delivered both of them home with a 2 RBI double. Next, Dylan P. (9) stepped up and crushed a two run home run blast. After Milo (5) kept the TP conga line procession going with a double, Troy (2) brought him home with a RBI triple.
- The TP defence had a tidy 1-2-3 top of the third to keep the Gold both off the base paths and the scoreboard. The frame was punctuated by a lights out outfield assist from rover Duncan (14) to first baseman Cooper (3) that brought the curtain down on the inning.
- TP kept the pedal to the metal as they tallied a pair of runs in the bottom of the third to extend their advantage to 8-2. After Adam (20) led off the inning with a single, Momo (18) stroked a single to put two aboard. Charlie Z. (8) would stroke a RBI single to cash in a run. Subsequently, Arlo (32) cashed in a RBI.
- The vaunted TP defence held Bloordale to just a single run in the top of the fourth. The inning was punctuated by a beautiful TP defensive play – After Charlie C. (11) tracked down a nicely hit ball to right field, he made a powerful throw to the cutoff man Duncan (14), who threw a bullet to catcher Momo (18) to prevent the Gold runner from coming home to roost. Then the Bloordale base runner tried to reverse course and turn back to third base. However, Momo threw a strike to third baseman Milo (5), who made a great tag on the Gold runner for the out.
- Taking care of business, TP offence exploded for five in the bottom of the fourth to widen their lead. Following a single by Dylan P. (9), Milo (5) doubled him home. Then Charlie C. (11) stroked a RBI single to bring Milo home to do the watusi. After Will (6) doubled to put two runners aboard, Keith (14) stroked a RBI single. Then Adam (20) stepped up to the dish with two ducks on the pond and delivered a double to bring in two more runs.
- Bloordale went down quietly in the top of the fifth.
- TP closed off the scoring with four insurance runs in the bottom portion of the fifth. Charlie Z. (8) [a.k.a. “Bringer of Rain”] led off the inning with a towering home run blast. Following back to back singles by Arlo (32) and Duncan (14), Dylan (9) delivered both home with a double. And Milo (5) closed out the scoring with an RBI single.
- In the top of the sixth, the TP defence ended the proceeding with a stellar 6-4-3 double play. After corralling a grounder, Momo (18) flipped it to Arlo (32) for the force at second. Then Arlo gunned it to first baseman Troy(2) to end the game.
- A strong offensive and defensive effort from TP tonight. Both Dylan P. (9) and Charlie Z. (8) had highlight reel home runs. Adam, Charlie Z., Dylan P. and Momo went a perfect three for three at the dish.