TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE A’s IN TIGHT SEESAW AFFAIR AT RAVINA GARDENS
Beneath a ceiling of serene skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Annette A’s 9-7 in five innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Ravina Gardens.
Here is a summary of the proceedings courtesy of Anaud Ganpaul and John Zilcosky:
- TP stormed out of the gates in the top of the first to take an early 1-0 lead. Following singles by Momo (18) and Cooper (3), Duncan (14) nailed a RBI double to cash in TP’s first run of the game.
- However, Annette tied things up 1-1 in the bottom of the first with a couple of key hits. The TP defence shone during the inning as it came up big with an unconventional 6-3-5 double play. After TP shortstop Milo (5) threw out the A’s batter at first, first baseman Arlo (32) made a laser throw to third baseman Dylan S. (10), who tagged out the Annette baserunner trying to advance to third from second.
- In the second inning, the defenses of both teams tightened. TP went down in order in the top half of the frame. Despite getting two runners on base, Annette left them stranded in the bottom of the second.
- With grit and resolve, TP showed that they meant business in the top of the third. After Charlie Z. (8) led off the frame with a double, Adam (20) delivered him home with a RBI single that gave them a 2-1 lead. After Momo singled and Cooper got on base on a fielder’s choice, Charlie C. (11) singled. Dylan P. (9) followed with massive three run dinger that gave TP a 5-1 lead.
- The TP defence stayed tough as nails in the bottom of the third by giving up only a single to keep Annette off the scoreboard.
- After Dylan S. led off the top of the fourth with a single, Charlie Z. ripped a hard liner up the middle that whacked the pitching machine and sent TP Coach Eugene running for cover. However, Annette’s defence closed the party down by keeping the two TP ducks on the pond.
- Refusing to quit, the A’s tallied an impressive seven hits in the bottom of the fourth as they roared back with six runs to take a 7-5 lead.
- After the officiating umpires announced that the fifth inning would be the final frame, the pressure was now on TP to rally back from a two run deficit. And TP responded with élan. After Charlie C. reached base on a fielder’s choice and Dylan P. singled, Duncan brought Charlie C. home with a RBI double. Down by one, Milo (5) delivered the coup de grâce with a two RBI double that gave TP an 8-7 lead. Dylan S. closed off the scoring by stroking a RBI single to bring Milo home.
- With TP back in the saddle heading into the bottom of the fifth, the stakes were as high as they could be. Protecting a slender two run lead, the TP defence rose to the challenge against the A’s. After surrendering a leadoff single, TP slammed the door shut on an A’s comeback, with Charlie C. catching a towering infield fly to close out a rousing 9-7 victory.
- The great offensive highlight of the game was undoubtedly Dylan P.’s massive homer that cashed in three RBI’s.
- Duncan went 3 for 3 with two RBI’s; Milo nailed two clutch RBI’s; Adam and Dylan S. had an RBI each; and Charlie Z. went a perfect 2 for 2 from the dish.
- The TP Major Rookie Ball Selects (3-1) next game is on Tuesday, June 6…a local EBA Select derby match at Christie Pits Diamond 3 against their “younger brothers,” the TP Minor Rookie Ball Selects (1-3) at 6:30 p.m.