TAKING NO PRISONERS, THE MAJORS TAKE DOWN THE MINORS AT CHRISTIE PITS TO EARN THEIR FOURTH EBA SELECT VICTORY OF THE SEASONBeneath a blanket of cool and overcast skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Rookie Ball Selects 21-1 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a brief summary of the proceedings courtesy of Anaud Ganpaul:
- Under an angry and intermittently rainy sky, the TP Major Rookie Ball Selects prevailed 21 -1 over their little brothers, the TP Minor Rookie Ball Selects, in a battle of two highly skilled teams.
- The TP Major bats came out against a strong TP Minor defence: Troy (2) went 2 for 4; Keith (21) 3 for 4; Adam (20) 2 for 4; Charlie Z. (8) 3 for 4; Dylan P. (9) 3 for 4; Duncan (14) 4 for 4; Arlo (32) 3 for 4; Cooper (3) 3 for 4; Momo (18) 4 for 4; Will (6) 4 for 4; Charlie C. (11) 1 for 3.
- TP Minor ran a clinic on the defensive fundamentals of holding runners from getting multi-base hits and calling time out right away to stop the play. The Minors shut out TP Major for two innings and held them to a single run in another inning. TP Minor spread their hits out across the team with Nathan (29), Ben (8), Jamie (20), Zach (19), Willy (6), Theo (3), Holden (25), Henry (14) and Michael (9) each getting on base.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings courtesy of Scoop Gerbil:
- After TP Minor went down in 1-2-3 fashion in the top of the first, the TP Majors pounded out seven hits in the bottom half of the first to take an early 6-0 lead. The Majors offensive charge was spearheaded by a two RBI double by Dylan P.; a RBI single by Cooper; and a two RBI double by Momo.
- The Majors would add a run in the bottom of the third to increase their lead to 7-0. A RBI single by Arlo would bring home Charlie Z.
- In the top of the fourth, the TP Minors would tally a run to trim the deficit to six. With two runners aboard, Zach would stroke a RBI single to deliver Ben home.
- TP Major unleashed a nine hit tsunami in the bottom of the fifth and tallied seven runs to widen their advantage to 14-1. The Majors would get respective RBI singles from Charlie Z., Duncan, Momo, Will. and Charlie C. Dylan P. chipped in with a RBI double.
Riding another nine hit hurricane, the Majors would add seven insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth to salt the game away. Adam, Duncan and Cooper would stroke respective RBI singles. Charlie Z. would deliver a RBI courtesy of a fielder’s choice. Charlie C. would tally a RBI via a 1-3 groundout. Arlo would muscle a two RBI double.
The TP Major Rookie Ball Selects (4-1) get a well deserved bye week away from the EBA Select circuit next week. The Majors resume play on Tuesday, June 20 when they travel to Smythe Park to battle the York Riverdogs at 6:30 p.m.
Meanwhile, the TP Minor Rookie Ball Selects (1-4) continue their homestand at Christie Pits Diamond 3 next Tuesday, June 13 when they host the Bloordale Green at 6:30 p.m.