THE GRITTY EXPOS PREVAIL OVER THE ARTFUL DODGERS IN A CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF NIGHTCAP AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a sheath of hot and humid skies, the Expos defeated the Dodgers 7-3 in 4 ½ innings of Peewee Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is an Expos recap of the proceedings courtesy of Richard Park:
- It was a hot and steamy evening as the Dodgers clashed with the Expos in Week 3 of the Peewee Division season.
- In the top of the first, the Dodgers came out swinging and the first three batters pounded a series of hard grounders, but straight into the mitts of the Expos defence in the field, to record a quick 3 up 3 down inning.
- After giving up a lead-off single, Dodgers starter Anthony (15) loaded the bases in the bottom of the first with a hit batsman and a walk. However, Anthony pitched himself out of the mojo jojo jam by striking out two. In addition, the Dodgers were able to keep the Expos off the scoreboard with a nifty 9-6 defensive putout at second by Maksym (14) to Luca (12).
- The Dodgers staked themselves to a 1-0 lead in the top of the second. With the bases loaded, Justin (4) drew a RBI walk to bring Stephen (11) home with the first run of the game. The Artful Dodgers could score no more as the Expos reliever eventually found the groove and settled down to leave the bases loaded.
- In the bottom of the second, Dodgers reliever Sasha (13) took to the mound and struck out one. Despite Sasha’s best efforts, the Expos rallied with four to take a 4-1 lead.
- With no outs, the Dodgers threatened by loading the bases in the top of the third on a single by Luca (12) and a pair of walks by Stephen and Maksym. However, the Artful Dodgers were unable to capitalize as the Expos reliever struck out three to leave the bases loaded again.
- After the Expos loaded the bases with their first three batters to open the bottom of the third, Dodgers reliever Vincent (6) settled down to strike out one batter and initiated a sweet 1-2 force out on a Expos base runner going home, with a heads-up throw to catcher Anthony. During the frame, the Expos player playing left field for the Dodger Blue made a few enemies on his team by making a nice catch on a deep fly ball to keep the damage to just one run.
- Refusing to surrender, the Artful Dodgers made a game of it by scoring two runs in the top of the fourth to trim the margin to 5-3. The Dodgers scored on a single by Vincent and a triple by Luca that ricocheted off the glove of Expos the right fielder.
- However, the Expos responded with a pair of insurance runs in the bottom of the fourth to stretch their advantage to 7-3. Dodgers reliever Vincent would ring up three strikeouts in the inning to subdue the Expos insurgency.
- The game moved along crisply as the Dodgers came up to bat in the top of the fifth. However, any hopes of a miracle comeback were quickly doused as the Expos closer mowed down the Artful Dodgers in 1-2-3 fashion on three strikeouts to end the game.