THE GNARLY BUCCANEERS SCALLYWAG THE CUBBIES AT DOVERCOURT PARK
Under the incandescent lights on a warm late spring night, the Pirates edged the Cubs 8-7 in 3 ½ innings of Peewee Division action this evening at Dovercourt Park.
Here is a Cubs recap of the proceedings courtesy of Kevin Lawrie:
Cubs started off with a home run blast from Charlie (7) in the top of the first frame to stake themselves to an early 1-0 lead.
- The Pirates got the run back, and more, with some fielding miscues by the Cubs in the bottom of the first to take a 4-1 lead.
- In the top of the second, the Cubs chipped away to trim the margin to it 4-2.
- Cubs reliever Raffi (11) pitched a scoreless bottom half of the second with two strikeouts to keep the Bucs off the scoreboard and in the Captain’s Mess.
- The Cubs exercised patience at the dish in the top of the third when they took advantage of seven walks issued by Pirates reliever PJ to retake the lead 6-4.
- However, the Buccaneers got all four runs back in the bottom half of the third to jump back out in front 8-6
- In the top of the fourth, the Cubs rallied for a run on an RBI single from Devin (12) to trim the deficit to one.
- The comeback bid fell short as the Pirates shut down the Cubbies to prevail for the victory.