TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE WHITE SOX AT CHRISTIE PITS TO EARN ITS SIXTH EBA SELECT VICTORY OF THE SEASON
Beneath a ceiling of warm and hazy skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Martingrove White Sox 12-9 in 6 ½ innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here is a summary of the proceedings courtesy of Anaud Ganpaul:
- Still shaking off the disappointment of a tough semi-final loss to Ancaster in the West Hill Tournament over the weekend, TP came out a bit distracted and allowed Martingrove to pull out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning.
- The White Sox tallied another four in the top of the second to extend its lead to 6-0.
- TP’s slumbering bats woke up in the bottom the second as they rallied with four to trim the deficit to two. After Troy (2) led off the frame with a single, Charlie Z. (8) followed with another single that put two ducks on the pond. Dylan P. (9) followed with a two RBI double to bring them home. With one aboard, Duncan (14) stroked a RBI single that brought Charlie Z. home. Following a double from Charlie C. (11) that put two aboard, Cooper (3) stroked a RBI single to deliver Duncan home.
- Martingrove replied with a run in the top of the third to extend their lead to 7-4.
- After blanking TP in the bottom of the third, the White Sox added another run in the top of the fourth to increase their advantage to 8-4.
- With their backs against the wall, the TP crew finally got their game on – batting around the order for seven runs in the bottom of the fourth to take am 11-8 lead. Following respective singles from Adam (20) and Dylan P. that put two mallards on the lake, Duncan delivered a three run inside the park home run blast to clear the bases. Charlie kept the big inning going followed by hits from Cooper, Momo (18), Troy and Charlie Z.
- However, Martingrove got a run back in the top of the fifth to cut the margin to 11-9.
- After the White Sox kept TP off the scoring ledger in the bottom of the fifth, TP returned the favour by shutting down the potent Martingrove offence in the top of the sixth to keep them off the scoreboard.
- In the bottom of the sixth, TP added an insurance run to stretch its lead to 12-9. After Cooper hit a double, Momo delivered him home with a RBI single.
- With the game on the line in the top of the seventh, TP retired Martingrove on three outs from pitcher Duncan to first baseman Charlie Z to seal the deal on a hard fought victory over the White Sox.