THE CARDINALS STYMIE TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS AT QUEENSWAY PARKBeneath a layer of warm summer skies, the Royal York Cardinals defeated the Toronto Playgrounds Major Peewee Selects 14-9 in 4 ½ innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Queensway Park.
Here is a recap of the proceedings courtesy of Paul Kelly, Jeff Kolyn and Vincent Lynch:
- TP watched the game slip away early and couldn’t recover in a 14-9 loss to the Royal York on Wednesday evening. Royal Yorks Boys scored on a single by Jeremy (13), a single by Nathan (33), and an error in the first inning.
- In the top of the first inning, TP rook an early 1-0 lead after Rory (12) delivered a RBI single on a 3-2 count.
- However, the Cardinals took the lead for good with a five run explosion in the bottom of the first. Royal York would garner a RBI single from Jeremy and a two RBI single by Nathan. The Cards would also be the beneficiaries of a TP error, which scored another run.
- TP would claw back with a run in the top of the second to trim the margin to 5-2.
- Royal would answer back with a pair in the bottom of the second to extend its lead to 7-2.
- After blanking TP in the top of the third, the Cardinals would tally another run in the bottom half of the inning to stretch its advantage to 8-2.
- In the top of the fourth, TP would score a pair to trim the deficit to four.
- Taking flight, Royal York would add six insurance runs in the bottom of the fourth to widen its lead to 14-4. The Cards big inning was spearheaded by key singles from Mathew (49), Jeremy, a fielder’s choice by James (22), and a double by Ben L. (7).
- In the top of the fifth, TP would gamely rally for five runs [on key singles by PJ (17), Nick (10), Max (20), Jona (15), and a groundout by Jackson (8)]. However, the TP comeback bid fell short as the Cardinals ruled the roost with a 14-9 victory.
- TP collected eleven hits and Royal York had ten in the high-scoring affair.
- Royal York were the beneficiaries of six errors committed by the TP defence.
- TP reliever Rory (12) pitched a strong game. Rory picked off two Cardinals at third base.
- Daniel (46), Nick, and Jona each collected multiple hits for TP.
- Despite suffering from jetlag, Max hung tough and put in a strong defensive effort against the Cards.
- TP tore up the base paths, as two players stole at least two bases. Taio (1) led TP grand thievery with five steals.
- Kudos to Jackson, who made a great heads up play by forcing out a Royal York base runner from right field at first base.
The TP Major Peewee Selects (4-4) continue their Grateful Dead voyage on the EBA Select circuit next Wednesday, July 5 when they travel to Pelmo Park to battle the Weston Wolverines at 7:00 p.m.