TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE WHITE SOX TO EARN ITS SEVENTH EBA SELECT VICTORY OF THE SEASON
Beneath a ceiling of warm and hazy skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Peewee Selects edged the Martingrove White Sox 5-4 in 5 ½ innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings courtesy of Marco Bianchi:
- The start of the TP and Martingrove game was slightly delayed by a malfunctioning baseline chalking device. However, once proceedings were underway it was a hard fought battle down to the final out.
- TP starter Theo (17) pitched the first two innings and held the White Sox to just one run.
- Through two frames, TP led 2-1 thanks to some alert base-running by Charlie (7), who swiped two bags to get himself ninety feet from home and driven home by team-wide strong situational hitting.
- In the top of the third, Martingrove rallied for 3 runs to take a 4-2 lead. But TP reliever Liam (26) would find his command and strike out the next two batters after the fourth White Sox had run scored to quell the uprising.
- TP would tally a run in the bottom of the third to trim the deficit to one.
- Aided by his strong finish on the mound in the third inning, TP reliever Liam made quick work of the White Sox in the top of the fourth to keep them off the scoring ledger and in the laundry hamper.
- Down 4-3 in the bottom of the fifth, TP would rally with two runs, including a game tying home run blast over the left field fence by Kieran (18).
- TP reliever Jordan (10) would pitch the final two innings of the game, not letting a Martingrove runner get past second base and racking up five strikeouts.
- TP catcher Noah (23) had a strong game behind the dish while throwing out two White Sox base runners trying to take third.
The TP Minor Peewee Selects (7-1) take a brief break away from the EBA Select circuit on the Canada Day long weekend when they travel to Huntsville to participate in the Muskoka Cup Peewee Select Tournament (June 30-July 2). TP resumes EBA Select play on Wednesday, July 5 at Christie Pits Diamond 2 when they play host to the York Riverdogs at 7:00 p.m.