THE DEVILISH RAYS PREVAIL OVER THE HALOS AT TRINITY-BELLWOODS PARK
Beneath a sheath of warm and hazy summer skies, the Rays defeated the Angels 8-4 in three innings of Mosquito Division action this evening at Trinity-Bellwoods Park Diamond 2.
Here is a Rays recap of the proceedings courtesy of Roe Sivanandan:
- The Angels hosted a shorthanded Devil Rays team at Trinity Bellwoods Park Diamond #2.
- Although the Angels (last season’s reigning Mosquito Division champions) were a handful for the Devil Rays, the Rays pulled through with a 8-4 victory in three innings of play.
- The Rays were very grateful to the Angels and their coaches for sharing some of their players to help fill the vacancies that the Rays had in their outfield.
- Special thanks to all the Angels players who took the field for the Rays!
- In the top of the first, Finn (14) and Charlie Z. (5) delivered respective doubles, and Mason (10) had a single to help the Devil Rays score four to take an early 4-0 lead.
- Rays starter Charlie C. (11) got into a sticky wicket by loading the bases in the bottom of the first. With the Halos threatening to tie the game, Charlie C. struck out two batters and deftly fielded a solid comebacker to the mound to throw out a Halos base runner at home – a quick thinking play to preserve a 4-3 lead.
- After the Angels shutout the Rays in the top half of the second, Rays reliever Finn (14) pitched a solid bottom of the second by giving up just one run to preserve a 4-4 tie.
- In the top of the third, the Rays showed patience at the dish and scored four to take an 8-4 lead. Charlie C. and Finn delivered key singles to put the Devil Rays on top again.
- Rays closer Charlie Z. (5) entered the fray in the bottom of the third to blank the Angels and seal the deal on the victory. At one point, Charlie Z. threw a solid and economical three pitch strike out, where all three pitches looked exactly the same – deja vu!!!
- An amazing effort by both the Angels and the Rays!