TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE ROYALS IN OPENING ROUND ROBIN GAME AT PEAKES FIELD
Beneath a ceiling of warm midsummer skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Mosquito Selects defeated the Orillia Royals 10-4 in seven innings of Muskoka Cup Tournament action this evening at Peakes Field.
As a result, TP opened the Muskoka Cup with a victory in their first round robin game at the tourney. It is the first of three scheduled round robin games to be played in Burlington, Ontario.
Here is a brief recap of the TP-Orillia showdown courtesy of Vincent Lynch:
- Pitching a stellar 3 ? innings, TP starter Desmond (3) stymied the Royals batting order by keeping them off the scoreboard with four strikeouts.
- It was a scoreless affair until TP staked themselves to a 2-0 lead in the top of the third. After a pair of one out singles by Marshall (20) and Tommy (27) that put two otters on the pond, Milo (21) delivered a RBI single to bring Marshall home with the opening run of the game. Subsequently, with two outs and two aboard, Liam (17) connected for a RBI single to plate Milo.
- TP would tally three more runs in the top of the fifth to widen its lead to 5-0. After a leadoff single by Jordan (1), Rennick (4) delivered him home with a one out RBI single. Later, with two outs, Tommy stroked a RBI single to plate Rennick. Milo followed with a RBI single to bring Tommy home to crow.
- After getting into a mojo jojo bases loaded jam in the bottom of the fifth, TP reliever Marshall (20) would pitch himself out of the sticky wicket by striking out ‘four’ to leave the bases stranded and keep Orillia off the scoring ledger.
- In the top of the sixth, TP added two to stretch its advantage to 7-0. After a leadoff walk and a stolen base, Liam would come homeward on a pair of wild pitches. After a one out single by Desmond, Sam (2) would deliver him home with a RBI double.
- TP would score three insurance runs in the top of the seventh to increase its lead to 10-0. Following a leadoff double by Archie (9), Marshall would bring him home with a one out RBI single. After Marshall took second on a wild pitch, Tommy followed with a RBI single to bring him home to do the watusi. Subsequently, Tommy would come home to score after a pair of errors by the Royals defence.
- Refusing to surrender, Orillia rallied with four in the bottom of the seventh to trim the deficit to six. Shaken, but not stirred, TP reliever Liam (17) would strikeout two to bring the curtain down on the victory.
The TP Minor Mosquito Selects journey at the Muskoka Cup tourney continues with two more round robin games on Saturday (July 22). In an early morning affair, TP will battle the Markham Mariners in a 9:00 a.m. game. Later in the afternoon, TP will face the Sudbury Shamrocks in a 4:15 p.m. proceeding.
GO! TP! GO!