TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS CAGE THE GOLD BEARS AT MILLWOOD PARK TO EARN THEIR EIGHTH EBA SELECT VICTORY OF THE SEASON
Beneath a ceiling of overcast and drizzled skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Peewee Selects defeated the Bloordale Gold Bears 19-7 in four innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Millwood Park.
Here is a recap of the proceedings courtesy of Vincent Lynch:
- TP would stake itself to an early 4-0 lead in the top of the first. Following a leadoff walk by James (6) and a single by Max (20), Jona (15) would garner a walk to load the bases. With no outs, Nick (10) delivered a two RBI double to bring James and Max home with the opening runs of the game. Jeremy (4) followed with a two RBI single that cleared the bases and allowed Jona and Nick to come home to crow.
With 1-2-3 efficiency, TP starter Jashan (13) would chalk up a fly out, groundout and strikeout in the bottom of the first to keep the Gold Bears paws out of the honey jar.
- In the top of the second, TP would tack on a run to increase its lead to 5-0. With the two outs and bases loaded, James would motor home on a passed ball.
- Bloordale would threaten by loading the bases on three walks in the bottom of the second. However, TP starter Jashan would extricate himself from the mojo jojo jam by ringing up a groundout, fly out and a K to leave the bases stranded to keep the Gold Bears off the scoring ledger.
- TP would explode for nine runs in the top of the third to widen their advantage to 14-0. With one out and the bases loaded, PJ (17) garnered a RBI walk to plate Jude (3). Josh (37) followed with a bases loaded RBI single to bring Daniel home. With the bases still juiced to the gills, Jashan and James would earn back to back RBI walks to bring Jackson and PJ homeward. Still, with the bases loaded, Max followed with two RBI single to deliver Josh and Jashan home. Following a walk to Jona that reloaded the bases, Jeremy, Jude and Daniel would garner a conga line of RBI walks that allowed James, Max and Jona to come home and do the lido shuffle.
- Refusing to surrender, Bloordale scored four in the bottom of the third to trim the deficit to ten with respective RBI singles from David (6), Luke (24), Jaiden (12) and Stephen (47).
- TP reliever Jude (3) would coax the Gold Bears into a pair of groundouts in the third to end the threat.
- TP would score five insurance runs in the top of the fourth to widen their lead to 19-4. After a leadoff walk by PJ and a single by Josh, Jashan would follow with a walk to load the bases. James would step up and deliver a RBI single to plate PJ. Max would follow with a RBI single to bring Josh home to roost. A wild pitch with the bases still juiced to the max would allow Jashan to bolt homeward with a run. Following a walk by Josh that reloaded the bases, Nick would stroke a RBI single to plate James. With the bases still juiced to overflowing, Jeremy would hit into a fielder’s choice to bring home Max.
- Bloordale would tally three in the bottom of the fourth to close the margin to 19-7. With one out and the bases loaded, Luke delivered a two RBI double to plate Shamus (10) and Declan (7). Jaiden followed with a groundout to bring David home.
- Shaken, but not stirred, TP closer Josh (37) would induce the Gold Bears into a pair of groundouts to seal the deal on the victory.
After a looooooonnnnnnnnnng seven game EBA Select road trip, the TP Major Peewee Selects (8-4) finally return to the friendly confines of Christie Pits Diamond 2 on Wednesday, August 2 to host the Annette A’s at 7:00 p.m.