THE NITTY GRITTY WHITE SOX PREVAIL OVER THE PESKY ROYALS IN A ROUND ROBIN TOURNAMENT GAME AT CHRISTIE PITSBeneath a ceiling of sunny and cloudy skies, the White Sox edged the Royals 8-7 in 3 ½ innings of Mosquito Division Round Robin Tournament action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Despite the wet and muddy conditions, the proceeding was an entertaining seesaw affair that was contested by two talented teams. In the end, the White Sox snuffed out a late comeback bid by the Royals to hang on for the slender victory.
Here is a recap of the proceedings:
- The Royals jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. After getting hit by pitch, leadoff batter Maxi (6) exacted his revenge by stealing his away around to score the opening run of the game.
- With two runners on base, White Sox starter Shael (5) struck out three in the first to end the Royals threat.
- In the bottom of the first, the White Sox replied with three runs to take a 3-1 lead. After a leadoff walk by Ellery (9), Kiran (4) drew a walk that put two ducks on the pond. After both baserunners stole a base, Shael followed with a one out groundout to bring Ellery home to tie the game. A subsequent wild pitch allowed Kiran to motor home with the go ahead run. After a two out single, Lukas (10) stole his way to third and motored home on a Royals error.
- In a spirited foray on the hill, Royals starter Liam (13) chalked up a pair of groundouts.
- Not to be outdone, the Royals stormed back with three in the top of the second to retake the lead 4-3. Following a walk by Liam and a single by Jessie (1) to open the frame, Julia (8) followed with a RBI single to bring Liam home. With one out and two runners on base, Adam (3) delivered a two RBI double to bring Jessie and Julia home with the go ahead runs.
- In a spirited effort on the mound, White Sox reliever Ellery (9) induced a pop out in the second.
- The White Sox answered back with three in the bottom of the second to regain the lead 6-4. After a walk by Aidan (8) and a single by Archie (6) to leadoff the inning, Jackson (1) drew a walk to load the bases. Jeremy (11) launched an ‘infield fly’ out that allowed Archie and Jackson to move up a base and Aidan to come home with the tying run. Following a one out walk to Cameron (12) that reloaded the bases, Cheney (7) and Ellery followed with respective bases loaded RBI walks to bring Archie and Jackson home to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- In a spirited outing on the hill, Royals reliever Jessie (1) induced an infield fly out in the second frame.
- The Royals replied with a run in the top of the third to trim the gap to 6-5. After Daniel (11) reached base on a fielder’s choice, Jessica (10) and Dimitri (14) drew walks to load the bases. Arman (5) followed with a bases loaded RBI walk to plate Daniel.
- White Sox reliever Archie (6) would extricate himself from a mojo jojo bases loaded jam in the third by striking out two Royals.
- Archie received some nice defensive help from his friends in the third. After Maxi reached first on a leadoff walk to open the inning, Daniel stroked a fly ball that dropped into shallow centre field. As the ball landed on the wet grass, White Sox centre fielder Misha (2) scooped up the ball and made a lightning throw to second baseman Jackson to complete an 8-4 putout of Maxi at second base for the first out of the frame.
- The White Sox added two insurance runs in the bottom of the third to extend their lead to 8-5. Following a leadoff double by Misha, Shael powered a RBI triple to bring him home to crow. A subsequent wild pitch allowed Shael to bolt home and do the jitterbug.
- Royals reliever Daniel (9) would strikeout three in the third to quell the White Sox insurgency.
- Refusing to surrender, the Royals battled back with a pair in the top of the fourth to close the margin to 8-7. After leading off the inning with respective walks, Jessie and Julia stole their way to third and second. With one out, Adam delivered a 1-3 groundout to bring Jessie home. A subsequent duo of wild pitches allowed Julia to come homeward with a run.
- Shaken, but not stirred, White Sox closer Lukas (10) coaxed a groundout and a pair of pop outs in the fourth to seal the deal on the victory.
- Lukas received two big defensive putouts from White Sox shortstop Shael in the final frame. After chalking up the first out via an infield pop out, Shael saved his best heroics for last. With two outs and the Royals potential tying run on base, Daniel stroked a fly ball to shallow left field. With the ball descending like a dying quail, Shael blazed over to make a sweet shoestring catch to tally the third out and bring the curtain down on the proceedings.