TAKING NO PRISONERS, THE WHITE SOX PREVAIL OVER TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a ceiling of warm and tranquil skies, the Martingrove White Sox defeated the Toronto Playgrounds Peewee Selects 20-6 in four innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Peewee Select Loop action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here are the highlights:
- Utilizing a combination of seven walks and six hits, Martingrove sent sixteen batters to the dish in the top half of the first frame and staked themselves to an early 11-0 lead. In the end, it was a lead that they would never surrender as they left TP in the rear view mirror. Lucas (33) led off the game with a monster solo home run blast to the deep dish pizza vector of centre field to give the White Sox a dramatic 1-0 advantage. After widening their lead to 3-0, Gregory (8) delivered a grace under pressure bases loaded 3 RBI double with one out to give the Martingrove a six run cushion.
- Feasting upon a Mandarin buffet serving of seven walks courtesy of the White Sox, TP rallied for five runs in the bottom half of the first to trim the deficit to six. Vincent (19), Sam (2), Ernesto (6), Liam (26) and Cooper (79) would utilize their acumen and speed on the basepaths to come home to roost.
- Martingrove answered back with three in the top of the second to increase their lead to 14-5. TP reliever Liam (26) would strike out three consecutive White Sox batters during the inning to end the White Sox threat.
- After TP went down in 1-2-3 fashion in the bottom portion of the second, Martingrove tallied three more runs in the top of the third to widen their advantage to 17-5.
In the bottom of the third, TP rallied for one in bottom of the third to trim the shortfall to 17-6. After leading off the inning with a sweet triple, Ernesto seized upon an error by the White Sox defence and bolted home with a run.
- Not to be outdone, Martingrove scored three insurance runs in the top half of the fourth to widen their lead to 20-6. The White Sox attack was keyed by a RBI triple by Mike (15) and a RBI single from Gregory.
- Martingrove closer Mike (15) would strike out two in the bottom of the fourth to seal the deal on the White Sox victory.
- Kudos to TP reliever Liam, who pitched 2 2/3 innings of strong relief. Entering the fray in the first, Liam proceeded to surrender only two earned runs while striking out seven batters.
- Kudos to Luca (20) for a series of defensive gems in the latter innings. With two outs and two aboard in the top of the third, White Sox leadoff batter Lucas stroked a sharp line drive to right field. However, Luca (who was manning right field) vacuumed up the ball and made a laser throw to first baseman Liam to erase a hard charging Lucas on a chitty, chitty, bang, bang 9-3 putout. Later in the fourth frame, Luca (positioned at second base) would hook up with first baseman William (17) on a pair of nifty 4-3 putouts to get TP out of the inning.
The TP Peewee Selects (0-1) continue their EBA Peewee Select Loop homestand at Christie Pits Diamond 2 next Wednesday (May 9) evening when they host the Royal York Cardinals (Boys) at 7:00 p.m.