THE MIGHTY GIANTS RALLY IN THE FINAL INNING TO PREVAIL OVER THE ARTFUL DODGERS AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a hazy veil of hot and humid skies, the Giants defeated the Dodgers 9-5 in four innings of Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Peewee Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a Giants summary of the proceedings courtesy of Roe Sivanandan:
- In the 2018 Peewee Division season opener for both teams, the Dodgers played host to the Giants at the Christie Pits Diamond #2 under a layer of clear and sunny skies on a hot day.
- With the bleachers packed with Giants fans on one side and the Dodgers fans on the other, all fans in attendance were awaiting an exciting and fun season opener and got just that!
- Giants coaches Neil and Roe are happy to report that ALL 15 Giants were at the diamond for the game.
- After earning a two out walk and swiping a pair bases to advance to third base in the top half of the first, Jonas (1) stole home to score the Giants first run of the regular season.
- Down 1-0, the Dodgers responded by squeezing four runs from Giants starter Ian (9) to take a 4-1 lead.
- The top portion of the second frame saw a pitching gem from the Dodgers reliever, who struck out all three Giants that he faced in back-to-back-to-back three up and three down fashion.
- In the bottom of the second, Giants reliever Jonas (1) pitched a strong inning by surrendering just one run to the Dodgers, who increased their lead to 5-1.
- The Giants squeaked out a run in the top of the third on a combination of walks and steals by Sasha (10), Euan (11), and Alex O. (AO) (15) to trim the deficit to three.
- Giants reliever Elliot (14) threw some solid pitches in the bottom of the third to slam the door shut on the Dodgers batting order.
- In the top half of the fourth, the never say die Giants donned their rally caps and mounted an exciting and entertaining comeback. After getting on base courtesy of a Dodgers error, Ian stole two bases to get into scoring position at third. Nikhil (3) followed with a RBI single to bring Ian home. Following back-to-back walks by Jonas and Elliot that loaded the bases, the Giants scored some additional runs after Kieran (2) got hit by a pitch and by Max’s (13) run scoring single. After Andre (5) struck out swinging, the Dodgers catcher dropped the ball, leading to an error that resulted in Andre reaching first base on a dropped third strike. Then Lex (12) worked the count to 3 and 2 before earning a walk – a great at bat. With the bases loaded, Teo (6) came up to bat and got a solid single to ice the cake on the Giants seven run rally that gave them a 9-5 lead.
- In the bottom of the fourth, as Giants’ closer AO (15) took to the mound (with some jitters, but also a degree of calmness and self confidence), he struck out the first Dodgers batter that he faced. On the next at bat, a Dodgers player hit a shot to Giants third baseman Nikhil, who fielded the ball solidly in his mitt and made a strong and accurate throw to first baseman James (8) to tally the 5-3 put out. With two outs, AO rang up another strikeout to bring the curtain down on the game and seal the deal on the Giants first victory of the season.