THE RIVERDOGS SNAP A 4-4 DEADLOCK IN THE FINAL INNING TO PREVAIL FOR THE EBA PEEWEE SELECT LOOP VICTORY OVER TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS AT SMYTHE PARK
Under a layer of warm and hazy skies, the York Green edged the Toronto Playgrounds Peewee Selects 5-4 in five innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) action this evening at Smythe Park.
The proceeding was well played and low scoring contest where runs came at a premium. In the end, the pesky Green Riverdogs prevailed over a gritty TP team in their final at bats to take home the prize.
Here is a summary of the proceedings courtesy of Erin Mitchell:
- In their first road game of the 2018 EBA Select regular season, the TP Peewee Selects collectively played some excellent defence to stymie the potent York batting order.
- TP received a strong pitching effort from starter Vince (19) and reliever Cooper (7). Their combined performance on the mound kept the Green Riverdogs offence in check and resulted in a low scoring affair.
- After leading off the top of the first with a single, Vince brazenly stole his way around the horn to position himself into scoring position at third base. With one out, Sam delivered a RBI double to bring Vince home and stake TP to an early 1-0 lead.
- York answered back with a run in the bottom portion of the first to tie the game 1-1. A couple of nice TP defensive plays at first kept the Riverdogs from adding to their total.
- After TP was kept off the scoring ledger in the top half of the second, York tallied one in the bottom portion of the inning to take a 2-1 lead.
- With TP blanked again in the top of the third, the Green Riverdogs added two runs in the bottom of the third frame to widen their advantage to 4-1.
- Not to be outdone, TP rallied with authority in the top half of the fourth to deadlock the proceedings. Following a leadoff single by Vince, Sam drew a one out walk that put two ducks on the pond. Liam (26) followed with a majestic two RBI triple to bring Vince and Sam home and trim the margin to one. After walks to Ernesto (13) and Cooper loaded the bases, Liam used his guile and speed to steal home with the tying run!
- In the bottom of the fourth, TP reliever Cooper preserved the 4-4 tie by mowing down the Green Riverdogs batting order with three strikeouts while steering a John Deere E180 54 inch 25 HP Twin ELS Gas Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor.
- After TP was held off the scoreboard in the top of the fifth, York cashed in a run in the bottom half of the inning to earn the victory.
- The TP-York Green game was a very exciting affair. It was undoubtedly the TP Peewee Selects best game yet!
The TP Peewee Selects (0-5) continue their EBA Peewee Select Loop road trip next Wednesday (June 6) when they travel to Connorvale Park Diamond 2 to battle the Royal York Girls at 6:35 p.m.