TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE RED CARDINALS AT JEFF HEALEY PARK TO EARN ITS SIXTH EBA ROOKIE BALL SELECT VICTORY
Beneath a duvet of cool blue skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Royal York Red 12-2 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select Loop action this evening at Jeff Healey Park.
Here are a few highlights of the proceedings courtesy of Vincent Lynch:
- Every TP player was trying out new positions on the diamond tonight and did very well.
- Playing shortstop for the first time, Rohan (19) made his presence felt when he took over an inning with his fine defensive play – ending the first inning by snagging a pop up!
- Called up into action, Nico played a great game – making putout to first base from both the pitcher and second base positions,
- Willy (6) contributed some fine defensive plays, including a double play. After catching a hot tamale line drive, Willy made a lightning toss over to first to erase a Royal York baserunner who had wandered off first base.
- Michael (9) played well defensively by being quite the utility man for TP – playing second base, first base, pitcher, right field and centre left field.
- The TP offence generated some big hits against the Red Cardinals. Fernando (1) smashed one to left field that bounced into the long grass and was ruled a ground rule double. Holden (25) crushed one straight up the middle for a single. And Willy legged out a triple.
- Nico was awarded the game ball for his fine defensive play and multiple hits.
The TP Rookie Ball Selects (6-0) return to the friendly green pastures of Christie Pits Diamond 3 next Tuesday (June 12) for their next EBA Rookie Ball Select Loop game versus the Bloordale Gold at 6:30 p.m.