TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE CARDINALS AT QUEENSWAY PARK TO EARN THEIR SECOND EBA MOSQUITO SELECT LOOP VICTORY
Beneath a pristine canopy of blue and cloudy skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Mosquito Selects defeated the Royal York Boys 7-5 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select Loop action this evening at Queensway Park.
Game Summary and Photo courtesy of Dora Yeoh:
- The Royal York Boys jumped out to an early 4-0 in the bottom half of the first inning. The Cardinals offence took flight with RBI contributions from Ben, Nokolas, Alex and Daniel.
- With catcher Cody (11) behind the dish, TP starter Dylan (10) pitched one inning where he allowed one hit, four runs, while striking out one.
- TP answered back with a pair in the top of the second to trim the deficit to two. Cooper (3) and Milo (27) came home with the bacon.
- In the top of the fourth, TP rallied with three runs to take a 5-4 lead. On a 0-2 count, William (33) stroked a RBI single to bring home Milo. Cody followed with a RBI single on a 0-1 count to deliver Dylan (10) home. With the bases loaded, Jiri (15) garnered a RBI walk to bring William home with the go ahead run.
- Pouncing on a Royal York wild pitch in the fourth, Cooper attempted to come home from third base with some aggressive baserunning. However, his brazen maneuver to steal a run was thwarted when he was thrown out at home plate.
- For three solid frames, TP reliever Milo (27) stymied the potent Cardinals batting order. With William catching behind the plate, Milo allowed only two hits while striking out six Red Birds.
- TP tacked on a pair of insurance runs in the top portion of the fifth. After Momo (18) stroked a stellar double, Charlie (8) brought him home with a RBI single. Subsequently, Cooper would deliver a sacrifice groundout to allow Charlie to come home and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- With Charlie filling the catcher’s shoes behind the dish, TP reliever Jiri (15) pitched the final two innings to close out the game. Using an elixir of pitches to seal the deal, Jiri would ring up two K’s to secure the TP victory.
- The TP offence tallied ten hits against Royal York, with Charlie, Cody and Cooper contributing two hits each versus the Cardinals.
- Utilizing their speed, TP tore up the base paths, with Milo and Charlie leading the way with two steals each.
- William led the TP defence with seven chances in the field.
- Cardinals starter Alex tossed three strong innings, where he allowed five hits, two runs, while striking out six TP batters.
- Royal York got two innings of workmanlike relief from Ryan and another frame from Ben.
- Going 3 for 3 at the plate, Lucas powered the Royal York Boys attack.
- With the Cards running wild on the base paths with six grand thefts, Lucas also led the Red Birds with three stolen bases against TP.
- Nokolas made the most defensive plays for the Cardinals with six.
- In a strong team effort, TP played a solid overall game to earn its second victory of the season.
The TP Minor Mosquito Selects (2-4) continue their road trip on the EBA Mosquito Select Loop circuit next Sunday (June 17) when they travel to Lloyd McConnie Memorial Fields to battle the Martingrove White Sox at 6:00 p.m.