TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS TAME THE RIVERDOGS AT SMYTHE PARK TO EARN THEIR SECOND EBA MOSQUITO SELECT LOOP VICTORY
Beneath a veil of hot and humid skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Mosquito Selects defeated the York Riverdogs 15-7 in five innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Loop action this evening at Smythe Park.
Here is a recap of the proceedings courtesy of Alex Maveal:
- The TP Major Mosquito Selects capped a big weekend of baseball in style with a 15-7 victory over York.
- The weekend began with TP facing a tough London opponent on Friday evening and dropping our round robin opener at the Welland Tournament.
- But the team rallied together on Saturday morning to tie Stoney Creek in a seemingly never ending back and forth affair.
- Then TP battled Hamilton in a close tooth and nail game, that could have easily gone our way, but ended up going in favour of the Cougars.
- The flurry of games and team bonding that blossomed at the Welland Tournament was on display in Sunday’s EBA Select Loop match, with the TP looking like a well oiled machine.
- Over five innings, TP used plate discipline to draw walks, their legs to steal bases (including home plate being stolen thrice), and the bats to come up with timely hits.
- The TP pitchers were dominant, the catchers were on their toes, and the defence came up with some stellar outs.
- The player of the game was Zach (24), who had a couple runs and RBI, but was most valuable on defence. Zach got the second last out of the game by picking off a York base stealer off at third, with assistance from Liam (13) making the tag. Then Zach used the arm again to make the long throw down to second to get the final out of the game, as Eitan (19) applied the tag on the runner trying to steal.
- A great game by all and a great team win.
The TP Major Mosquito Selects (2-2) return home to Christie Pits Diamond 2 next Sunday (June 24) to host the Royal York Boys at 6:00 p.m.