UNLEASHING A TWENTY-EIGHT FUSILLADE, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE GOLD BOMBERS AT NEILSON PARK TO EARN THEIR TENTH EBA ROOKIE BALL SELECT LOOP VICTORY
Game Summary composed with file from Vincent Lynch
Beneath a ceiling of warm and tranquil skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Bloordale Gold 19-7 in seven innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Rookie Ball Select Loop action this evening at Neilson Park.
The proceeding was an entertaining contest between two talented teams. In the end, TP utilized a twenty-eight hit fusillade to overcome an early deficit and prevail over the Gold Bombers for their tenth victory of the season.
Here is a brief recap of the game:
- TP jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top half of the first. After Ben (8) stroked a one out single, Fernando (1) followed with a single to put two ducks on the pond. A Bloordale error on the play would allow Fernando to advance to third and bring Ben home with the opening run of the game.
- In the bottom of the first, the Gold quickly answered back with four runs to take a 4-1 lead. Following back to back singles by Braden and Charlie to open the inning, Drew stroked a RBI single to bring Braden home with the tying run. With one out and two otters on the lake, Ben delivers a single. A TP error on the play allows Drew and Ben E. to advance respectively to third and second, and brings Charlie home with the go ahead run. Subsequently, with two outs and two runners on base, Ben B. delivers a clutch two RBI single to plate Drew and Ben E.
- TP replied with a run in the top of the second to close the gap to 4-2. With two outs and a runner on second, Qayam (11) strokes a RBI single to bring Theo (3) home.
- After keeping Bloordale off the scoring ledger in the bottom of the second, TP continued to chip away at the shortfall by scoring a run in the top of the third to trim the margin to 4-3. With two outs and a runner on second, Ben delivered a RBI single to plate Willy (6).
There would be no further scoring until the top of the fifth when the TP bats surged to life as they scored eight to take an 11-4 lead. Following a pair of singles by Qayam and Noah (10) to lead off the inning, Nico (7) stroked a RBI single to bring Qayam home with the tying run. After a single by Willy loads the bases, Ethan (12) delivered a two RBI single that allows Noah and Nico to motor home with the go ahead runs. With two swans on the lake, Ben hits into a fielder’s choice that erases Ethan at second and brings Willy home with a run. After a one out single by Fernando puts two runners on base, Rohan (19) strokes a RBI single to plate Ben and give TP an 8-4 advantage. With two seals on the pond, Holden delivered a two RBI line drive to centre field that allowed Fernando and Rohan to come home and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake. After a single by Beckett (2) puts two aboard, Nathan (29) stroked a RBI single to bring Holden home.
- After blanking the Gold in the bottom of the fifth, TP added three in the top portion of the sixth frame to extend its lead to 14-4. Following a pair of one out singles by Nico and Willy that put two penguins on the lake, Ben launched a grace under pressure two out two RBI triple to centre field to score Nico and Willy. Fernando follows with a RBI single to plate Ben.
- Bloordale replies with a run in the bottom of the sixth to trim the deficit to nine, With two outs and a runner on second, Braydon strokes a RBI single to plate Nick.
- TP tacked on five insurance runs in the top of the seventh to solidify their lead at 19-5. Following respective one out singles by Beckett and Theo (3), Nathan delivered a RBI single to bring Beckett home to crow. With two geese on the pond, Qayam follows with a two RBI single that allows Theo and Nathan to come home and do the jitterbug. After a single by Noah puts two runners on base, Nico strokes a RBI single to plate Qayam. Willy follows with fielder’s choice groundout that scores Noah.
- Donning their rally caps, Bloordale scored a pair in the bottom of the seventh to trim the shortfall to 19-7. With a runner on second, Braden strokes a RBI single to bring Braydon home. On the play, a TP error would allow Braden to come around the horn and score a run.
- The TP offence racked up twenty-eight hits against the Bloordale Gold (who collected sixteen hits).
- Ben (8) led the way for TP by going 3 for 5 at the dish with four RBI’s.
The TP Rookie Ball Selects (10-3) travel to Pelmo Park next Tuesday (August 7) for their next EBA Rookie Ball Select Loop game versus the Weston Wolverines at 7:00 p.m.