WITH A VICTORY OVER THE ROYALS, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS ADVANCES TO A SEMI-FINAL SHOWDOWN VERSUS THE BARRIE BAYCATS AT LENNOX PARKTournament Collage Photos courtesy of Bill Evans
Beneath a sheath of hot and humid skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Bantam Selects defeated the Guelph Royals 16-5 in a seven inning Quarter-Final game this morning at Lennox Park to advance to the semi-final playoff round of the Barrie Minor Baseball Association (BMBA) Bantam Select Tournament in Barrie, Ontario.
Here are some Quarter-Final Game highlights:
- TP starter Ben (4) pitched a six inning gem to stymie the potent Guelph batting order.
- Ben was picked up with some solid relief by TP relievers Alden (7) and Jake (27) the rest of the way.
- Piper (13) continues to lead his teammates at the plate and behind the dish.
- The TP offence was spearheaded by a 3 for 3 effort from Alden; a 2 for 3 game from Piper; and a 2 for 3 day from Harris (12).
- When it counted, TP received timely hitting from Leandro (10), James (9), Jona (15) and Joseph (11).
With a dominating victory over the Royals, fourth seeded TP will now face the Barrie Baycats in a semi-final round game. The game is a rematch for both teams. In the round robin portion of the tourney, Barrie prevailed over TP 5-2 in a tooth and nail affair on Saturday afternoon to earn the top seeding in the playoff elimination round.
TP began its journey at the tourney on Friday evening with a convincing 13-3 win over Turtle Club to earn its first round robin victory.
With the wind in its sails, TP defeated Cambridge 11-4 in a Saturday morning affair to garner its second round robin win.
In a tooth and nail battle, TP fell to the Barrie Baycats 5-2 yesterday afternoon to finish the round robin with a 2-1 record. As a result, TP received the number four seeding in the six team playoff elimination round at the Barrie Tourney.
Additional updates to follow when available.
GO! TP! GO!