TAKING TIGER MOUNTAIN BY STRATEGY, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE RED CARDINALS AT CHRISTIE PITS TO EARN ITS TWELFTH EBA ROOKIE BALL SELECT VICTORY
Game Summary composed with file from Vincent Lynch. Photo courtesy of Vasan Persad.
Beneath a picture perfect ceiling of warm summer skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Royal York Red 28-7 in 5 ½ innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Rookie Ball Select Loop action this afternoon at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
The proceeding was an entertaining contest between two talented teams. In the end, TP uncorked a furious thirty-eight hit assault to prevail over the Cardinals for their twelfth victory of the season.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- Royal York jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first. With two runners on base, Benjamin stroked a two out single. A TP error on the play allows Griffin to score the opening run of the game. Quin follows with a RBI single to plate Kegan.
- In the bottom half of the first, TP replies with three to take a 3-2 lead. Following a leadoff triple by Ethan (12), Beckett (2) launched a two RBI inside the park home run to left field to tie the game. After a triple by Willy (6), Jamie (20) stroked a RBI single to bring Willy home with the go ahead run.
- The Red Cardinals answered back with a run in the top of the second to tie the affair 3-3. With the bases loaded, Benjamin connected for a two out RBI single that brings Ruben home with the tying run.
- TP exploded for ten runs in the bottom of the second to take a 13-3 lead. After Qayam (11) advanced to second via a leadoff single and a Royal York error, Noah (10) stroked a RBI single to bring Qayam home with the go ahead score. Following a single by Henry (14) that put two swans on the lake, Ethan delivered a one out RBI single to plate Noah. Beckett followed with a three RBI inside the park home run to give TP an 8-3 advantage. After a double by Willy, Jamie stroked a RBI single that brings Willy home with the bacon. Following a two out single by Theo (3) that put two ducks on the pond, Holden (25) delivers a RBI single that allowed Jamie to come home to crow. With two runners on base, Qayam muscled a two RBI single to right field that allows Theo and Holden to come homeward and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake. After a single by Noah put two seals on the lake, Henry delivered a RBI single to plate Qayam.
- Royal York replied with three in the top of the third to trim the gap to 13-6. With two aboard, Ruben delivered a one out RBI double to bring Charlie home. Griffin followed with a RBI single to plate Navin. Next, Kegan delivered a groundout that allowed Ruben to come home to roost.
- Nonplussed, TP answered with four in the bottom of the third to extend its advantage to 17-6. Following a leadoff double by Ethan, Willy stroked a one out RBI single to bring Ethan home. After a single by Jamie put two mallards on the lake, Rohan (19) delivered a two RBI double to right field to bring Willy and Jamie home to do the watusi. Theo followed with a RBI single to plate Rohan.
- After the Red Cardinals were held off the scoring ledger in the top portion of the fourth, TP added six runs to their abacus in the bottom of the fourth to widen its lead to 23-6. Following a pair of singles by Henry and Michael (9) to lead off the inning, Ethan stroked a RBI single to plate Henry. After a single by Beckett that loaded the bases, Willy delivered a two RBI single to centre field to bring Henry and Michael home to do the jitterbug. With one out and two aboard, Rohan stroked a RBI single to plate Beckett. Theo followed with a RBI single to bring Jamie home. Following a two out single by Qayam that loaded the bases, Noah connected for a RBI single to score Rohan.
- After Royal York was held off the scoreboard in the top of the fifth, TP tacked on five insurance runs in the bottom half of the fifth to stretch their lead to 28-6. Following a series of one out singles by Ethan, Beckett and Willy that loaded the bases, Jamie stroked a RBI single to plate Ethan. With the bases still juiced to the gills, Rohan and Theo followed with respective RBI singles to bring Beckett and Willy home. Holden followed with a bases loaded groundout that allowed Jamie to score. With two outs and two ducklings on the pond, Qayam stroked a RBI single to bring Rohan home to do the waltz.
- Refusing to wave the white flag, the Red Cardinals battled back with a run in the top of the sixth to trim the margin to 28-7. With runners on third and second, Griffin delivered a one out groundout that allowed Navin to score.
- In a lopsided affair, TP outhit Royal York 38 to 17.
- Beckett delivered TWO woolly mammoth inside the park home runs early in the game to spark the TP attack.
- Willy powered the TP offence with five hits [triple, double, three singles] against the Red Cardinals.
- Along with Willy, Ethan and Qayam also tallied five hits each to lead the TP hit parade.
The TP Rookie Ball Selects (12-3) wrap up their 2018 EBA Rookie Ball Select regular season on Tuesday (August 14) when they travel to Martingrove Gardens Park to battle the Martingrove Silver at 6:30 p.m. Following the game, TP has a playoff rendezvous at the 2018 EBA Rookie Ball Select Tournament (August 17-19).