IN ITS FINAL REGULAR SEASON GAME, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE RIVERDOGS AT SMYTHE PARK TO EARN ITS THIRD EBA MOSQUITO SELECT LOOP VICTORY
Photo courtesy of Dora Yeoh
Beneath a ceiling of hot and humid skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Mosquito Selects defeated the York Riverdogs 12-2 in five innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Loop action this evening at Smythe Park.
The lopsided proceeding was an entertaining contest between two talented teams. In the end, TP utilized a combination of solid pitching, steady defence, and an opportunistic offence to prevail over the Riverdogs and earn its third regular season win.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings courtesy of John Zilcosky and Dora Yeoh:
- In its final 2018 EBA regular season game, the TP Minor Mosquito Selects sailed to an easy 12-2 victory over York on Wednesday evening.
- TP jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. After stroking a leadoff single, Cooper brazenly stole his way around the horn to get into scoring position at third. Charlie (8) followed with a groundout that brought Cooper (3) home with the opening run of the game.
- With Cooper catching behind the dish, TP starter Charlie chalked up a strikeout and a pair of groundouts as he pitched a scoreless bottom half of the first to keep the Riverdogs off the scoring ledger and in the pound.
- TP exploded for four runs in the top of the second to widen its lead to 5-0. Following a leadoff walk by Dylan (10) and a one out double by Adam (20) that put two ducks on the pond, Jiri (15) reached base on a hit by pitch to load the bases. Joel (12) followed with a ballpark-rocking inside-the-park grand slam blast to right field to give TP a five run cushion.
- TP starter Charlie struck out two in the bottom of the second to keep York off the scoreboard.
- In the top portion of the third, TP added two more to its tally to stretch its advantage to 7-0. After a one out single and stolen base by Charlie, William (33) stroked a two out RBI single to bring Charlie home. With a runner on base, Dylan followed with a massive RBI triple to left field that allowed William to come homeward with the bacon.
- TP starter Charlie silenced York’s bats in the bottom of the third by striking out three Riverdogs to keep them off the scoring abacus. For his three innings on the mound, Charlie hurled a shutout and a no-hitter, while striking out six Yorksters.
- Taking no prisoners, TP put the nail in the coffin in the top of the fifth by tallying five runs to secure its lead at 12-0. Following a leadoff single and stolen base by Ezekiel (19), Cooper delivered Ezekiel home with a RBI single. After Charlie was hit by pitch to put two seals on the lake, Momo (18) stroked a RBI hit to plate Cooper. With two aboard, William delivered a two RBI single that allowed Charlie and Momo to come homeward to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake. After William had stolen a pair of bases to reach third, Cody (11) hit into a one out groundout to plate William.
- After starter Charlie exited the game, TP relievers Dylan and William tossed one inning each to keep the Riverdogs at bay.
- York cashed in two runs in the bottom of the fifth to trim the gap to 12-2. With two outs and two runners on base, Alex executed a brazen steal of home to score the Riverdogs first run. Finn followed with a RBI single to bring Tyler home.
- TP scattered ten hits in its game verus York. Joel led the way with his grand slam, and Dylan had his mighty triple. Cooper and William each managed two singles for TP.
- TP also tore up the base paths, as four players stole at least two bases. Cooper led the way with four grand thefts.
With the completion of the regular season, the TP Minor Mosquito Selects (3-9) playoff journey at the 2018 EBA Mosquito Select Championship Tournament begins this Saturday (August 18) morning with a 9:00 a.m. playoff elimination game against the Weston Wolverines at Christie Pits Diamond 2.