FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE CARDINALS AT DON RUSSELL PARK TO EARN THEIR FIRST EBA ROOKIE BALL SELECT LOOP VICTORY OF THE 2019 SEASON
Game Post composed with file and photo from Reagan Maude
Beneath a tranquil ceiling of sunny and cloudy skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Royal York Girls 19-5 in five innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Rookie Ball Select Loop action this evening at Don Russell Park.
After a season opening 10-4 loss to the Bloordale Green last Tuesday, TP rebounded in a take no prisoners fashion as they grounded the pesky Cardinals to earn their first victory of the season.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- The game got off to a slow as molasses start with only one run scoring in the first inning.
- However, the TP bats came to life with explosive force in the top half of the second frame, when Eamon launched a MASSIVE double. With conga line precision, Max, Henry and Nico followed suit with respective doubles. When the dust had finally settled on the base paths, TP had tallied seven runs and never had to look back in the rear view mirror.
- In a total team effort, each TP player made their own unique contributions to the cause as the boys went on to a 19-5 victory.
- A special kudos goes out to Siena of the Royal York Girls, who clubbed a HUGE home run in the third inning for the Cardinals.
- The defensive player of the game award goes to TP Rookie Ball Select catcher Aaron (2), who stood his ground at home plate when a Royal York baserunner tried to advance home on a play in the fourth inning. After taking a lightning throw from TP first baseman Nico, Aaron quickly slapped the tag on a hard charging Cardinals baserunner and thwarted her bid to score in a chitty, chitty, bang, bang play at the dish.
- In a postgame interview, TP Rookie Ball Select Head Coach Reagan Maude was philosophical about her first victory as a skipper at the Select level: “Some blood was shed, but it was worth it for the glory!!!”
After spending the first two weeks of the EBA Select regular season on the road, the TP Rookie Ball Selects (1-1) return to the friendly confines of Christie Pits Diamond 3 next Tuesday (May 14) evening for their home opener versus the Bloordale Green at 6:00 p.m. Tickets for this stellar event are still available at the TP Baseball Clubhouse.