TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS DIFFUSE THE BOMBERS AT MILLWOOD PARK TO EARN THEIR FIFTH EBA MOSQUITO SELECT LOOP VICTORY
Game Post composed with file from Dora Parks and Paul Ungerman
Under a warm duvet of sunny and hazy skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Mosquito Selects defeated the Bloordale Bombers 16-1 in four innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Loop play this evening at Millwood Park.
The Father’s Day proceeding was an entertaining contest between two talented teams. In the end, TP utilized a fifteen hit fusillade and solid pitching and defence to cruise to a convincing victory.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- TP jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the top portion of the first inning. After a leadoff double by Julian (20), William (33) stroked a RBI single to bring Julian home with the opening run of the game.
- With one aboard, Sean (13) delivered a RBI double that allowed William to motor homeward. Subsequently, with one out and a runner at third, Rocco (99) hits into a 6-3 groundout that allows Sean to score.
- Bloordale starter Noah (27) tallied a pair of groundouts and a strikeout in the first frame to subdue the TP insurgency.
- In the bottom of the first, TP starter Momo (18) chalked up a groundout, strikeout and line out in 1-2-3 fashion to keep the Bombers in the hangar.
- TP tacked on a pair in the top of the second to stretch its advantage to 5-0. After Cooper (3) reached base on a dropped third strike to open the inning, Julian garnered a two out walk that put two ducks on the pond. William followed with a clutch two RBI double to right field that allowed Cooper and Julian to come home and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- With swashbuckling finesse and guile, TP reliever Sean rang up a groundout and two strikeouts in the bottom of the third to keep the Bombers on the tarmac.
- After a scoreless third inning, TP exploded for eleven insurance runs in the top of the fourth. Following a leadoff single and a pair of stolen bases by Cooper that advanced him to third, Momo delivered a RBI single to bring Cooper home. After swiping his way to third, Momo charged homeward on a passed ball to score a run.
- Following a single by Julian and a walk by William that put two otters on the lake, Sean stroked a two RBI single that brought them home to roost.
- After a single by Aron (14) that put two aboard, Rocco hit into a 1-3 groundout that advanced Aron to third and brought Sean home with the Druxy’s Corned Beef Sandwich.
- After Dylan (10) reached base on a hit by pitch that put two koalas on the diamond, Milo (27) hit a one out RBI single to right field that propelled Dylan to third and brought Rocco homeward with the Reese’s Peanut Buttercups. A Bloordale error allowed Milo to advance to third and Dylan to come home with the Oreo Double Stuffed Cookies.
- With a runner at third, Charlie (8) launched a RBI double into centre field that allowed Milo to come home. After reaching third on a passed ball, Charlie zoomed home on a Bombers faux pas to score a run.
- After Cooper reached base on a Bloordale error, Julian crushed a RBI triple to plate Cooper. Another Bombers faux pas would allow Julian to come home with the peameal bacon.
- Refusing to go quietly into the night, Bloordale donned their rally caps in the bottom of the fourth as they scored a run to break the shutout. After Adrian (9) reached base on a error to begin the inning, Josh (8) scorched a double into centre field that put two ducklings on the lake. With one out, Paul (16) hit into a 4-3 groundout that advanced Josh to third and brought Adrian home to crow.
- Unfazed, TP closer Cooper rung up a pair of strikeouts and a groundout in the fourth frame to bring the curtain down on the 16-1 win.
The TP Major Mosquito Selects (5-0) continue their EBA Mosquito Select Loop road swing next Sunday (June 23) evening when they travel to Smythe Park to battle the York Riverdogs at 6:00 p.m.